Legend becomes his namesake

5/5 stars
    How prophetic a name is. John Stephens’ alias is just that. He had the makings of a true musical genius with his first album Get Lifted in 2004, but with his new album Once Again, John Legend has filled those shoes with timeless soul music.
    In today’s music industry, it’s hard to find a music purist who can stay true to a style of music, say, classic R&B, and still make it modern and relevant in today’s hip-hop and pop-driven world.
    But Legend has done just that, plus more. Dropping the numerous guest MC’s that cluttered his debut and skipping on the hip-hop beats for more live instruments has improved Legend’s sound to that of old-school Marvin Gaye and Al Green. His obvious maturity and his smart move of getting rid of any noticeable connection to Kanye West have elevated his sound to a smart soul that appeals more to the grown-ups than the TRL teeny-boppers.
    On Once Again, Legend is still battling those classic demons that pull the tender soul between God’s love and the sins of the flesh. Legend prays for the former on the classic “Show Me” produced by Raphael Saadiq, arguably the best soul producer alive. Legend sings in a soulful falsetto asking God to make his presence known in his life. It’s one of the most beautiful songs in recent years and wouldn’t be out of place being sung by a local gospel choir.
    Legend keeps things mostly upbeat throughout the album, with yearning love songs about the bliss he feels being in real relationships
    The first single, “Save Room,” captures this sentiment perfectly, asking his girl to wait a little while because the truly good things are worth the wait.
    The only song remotely hinting of a hip-hop beat is the brilliant “Stereo,” where Legend laments about a girl who’s only in love with his voice and radio persona.
    Legend revisits his “Ordinary People” sound on “Again,” where he sings about cheating on his girl, fighting with her and making up against his will.
    Legend ends Once Again on a somber note, singing about missing family and the love of a home on “Coming Home.” The song speaks of parents waiting on the return of their children, the war’s effect on families and learning from mistakes that cost him too many regrets.
    Just as people today talk of the old days of classic soul singers like Gaye and Green, singers that not only could sing and make great music but also had something to say that spoke to their time and generation, future generations will speak that way of Legend. Once Again is his debut as a serious musical genius with a passion for classic soul music who stands above the crowd with his honest and evocative lyrics and who has already proven himself to be a living legend.