Appeals Court holds trials on campus

Editor’s Note: This is the first part of a two-part series about Appeals Court proceedings involving a capital murder case.
    The Mississippi Court of Appeals will hear two cases on campus today for the first time in Mississippi State University history.
    The Pre-Law Society at MSU invited the Appeals Court to conduct hearings on campus. Similar hearings have previously been held at other state universities. This is the first time the Appeals Court has come to MSU.
    “These hearings are a big step forward for pre-law at the university. Most people don’t get the chance to see court hearings,” MSU Pre-Law Society president Brian Pugh said. “I think this will be a real learning experience for everyone.”
    The pre-law program at MSU currently has over 60 members and Pugh said he hopes it will better prepare students who wish to later attend law school.
    Two cases will be heard by a three-judge panel, led by Chief Judge Leslie D. King. The hearings will be in the Parker Ballroom of the Hunter Henry Center.
    “I hope faculty and students and others in the community come and view the hearings,” Stennis Institute of Government director Marty Wiseman said. “This is a good chance for everyone to see how federal court operates.”
    One of the cases being heard is a civil dispute from Lee County. The other case concerns the appeal of a man convicted of the murder of a Starkville woman in 2001.
    Devall Hudson of Starkville was sentenced to life in prison in 2004. Prosecutors say Hudson is responsible for the death of 77-year-old Juanita Miller of Starkville.
    Prosecutors say Miller was beaten, robbed and left for dead in her home, which was then set on fire. Fire crews found Miller barely alive in the home after responding to a call, but Miller later died in the hospital. Autopsy reports showed that Miller died from blunt-force trauma to the head.
    Hudson and three other men were supposedly attempting to rob the Miller house when they encountered Juanita inside the home. Three other men have also been charged in the murder. The appeals court will hear arguments in the Devall Hudson case today.
    The hearings are open to the public, but the court asks everyone to be on time and respectful of the court.
    “This is exceptional for MSU, the Appeals Court is pleased to accept our invitation to conduct hearings and it is a great opportunity for anyone interested in the law,” Pre-Law Society adviser Diane Wall said.
    Mississippi State does not currently have a law school, but many are hoping the hearings will give strengthen the MSU Pre-Law program.
    The appeals court, composed of ten judges, hears civil and criminal arguments in cases referred by the state Supreme Court. Oral arguments are heard six times each year by a three-judge panel.
    The hearings are open to the public, the court asks that no one arrive late, or leave early during the proceedings. The first case will be heard at 9:45am and the second will be heard at 11:15am.
    .