Don’t celebrate yet

Many Americans are hopeful now that the Democrats have gained back power in Congress. This phenomenon has been our nation’s undoing: Americans voting for either the Democrats or Republicans.
    Of course, media are largely responsible for America’s faith in this dreadful two-party system. Most coverage is given to Democrats and Republicans.
    One could say it’s because the two parties present the most newsworthy coverage. But this point becomes moot when one considers the journalist’s duty to be “the voice of the voiceless.” In that regard, the media have often failed average Americans and alternative politicians.
    Unfortunately, the effects have been unsavory to say the least. The Patriot Act is a perfect example of our government’s failure. According to the College Art Association, the law has stifled research in the Middle East. Also, professors like Steven J. Kurtz have been wrongly investigated for benign intentions.
    More than anything, the Patriot Act ignores the precedent of clear and present danger set forth in the following cases: Abrams v. U.S., Gitlow v. New York and Whitney v. California.
    Where were the Democrats when this law was passed? They voted for the law along with the Republicans in 2001 (the Senate passed it 98-1, the House 357-66).
    But there’s more. The Patriot Act was renewed earlier this year. Although this measure didn’t receive as much support, the results were still disturbing. The Senate renewed the Patriot Act 89-11, the House 280-138.
    Both parties also failed to get anything done on two key issues of 2006: illegal immigration and gas prices.
    Some may say the new border fence is a good start-nevermind the holes in it. But those same people would have a tough time proving that the fence will do anything about the millions of illegal immigrants in America now. Simply put, both parties are scared to do anything substantial because of politics.
    And instead of initiating much needed regulation on gas prices, the Republicans offered $100 rebates, taking a cue from DVD merchandise. The Democrats did no better, offering a 60-day “gas tax holiday.” To date, gas prices, while lower than they were, are still too high for many hardworking Americans.
    Democrats and Republicans fail to educate the American people on unlawful practices.
    For instance, there is no law that says people have to pay federal income taxes. Democrats and Republicans won’t address this fiasco. But libertarian Aaron Russo pointed it out in his excellent documentary, “From Freedom to Fascism.”
    I’m not suggesting it’s impossible for anything good to come out of this new Congress. However, only someone with no knowledge of history would bet on this horse.