Scott brings sincerity, determination to table

Keeyon Scott’s excitement about possibly leading MSU’s student body next year is obvious as he discusses his platform for Student Association president. His background in public relations and the military give him an air of confidence and sincerity.
    He created a platform of three key areas that he thinks the SA should work to develop on campus: leadership, continuity and effort.
    Scott, a senior communication major, served in the SA Senate and as assistant chief of staff to current President Jon David Cole. But perhaps his most noble leadership role this year has also been his proudest-his work as the student coordinator of Hurricane Katrina relief trips for Bulldogs in Response.
    “I took that upon myself because I saw the need and that there was a lack of students going down from Mississippi State University,” he said. “That’s something that I want to continue even if I don’t win president,” he said.
    Aside from his own leadership experience-including service in the U.S. Marine Corps reserves, as well as work with AmeriCorps and the Boys and Girls Club-he said the SA needs strong leaders to take on major roles in the organizations.
    “I want to make sure that I pick individuals that are going to work hard next year, and that are also representative and diverse and involved throughout Mississippi State,” he said.
    The SA president also has the duty of appointing students to several university committees. Scott said he will use this as an opportunity to get students who aren’t necessarily involved in the SA to take on leadership roles.
    The second part to his platform focuses on campus continuity. He believes continuity will develop through building traditions and reaching out to all students.
    “All of the candidates express concerns about unity-bonding all races, and establishing various friendships with Greeks and non-Greeks on campus, but I haven’t seen a lot done with that,” he said.
    He thinks the university should create a new event-which he has dubbed Unity Fest-to celebrate the diversity on campus and encourage students of different backgrounds to interact. Scott’s vision for it includes bands, picnics and a unity ball, and he hopes to hold the first one next year.
    His final point is effort. Scott believes that the SA should be an advocate for student concerns.
    “I want to make sure that I’m voicing the wants and the needs of the students of Mississippi State,” he said. “This campus is changing very drastically. Student perspectives need to be valued while continuing growth and development.”
    Being an advocate for the students will be especially important given that MSU will have a new university president next year.
    “There’s probably a lot that we can learn about him or her, but there’s also a lot that he can learn about Mississippi State and the students,” Scott said.