National Players reawaken Stoker’s ‘Dracula’

It might be nine months until Halloween, but it’s time to bust out the cape and fangs because “Dracula” is coming to town.
    On Feb. 7, the National Players, America’s longest running touring company, will put on a one-night-only showing of the Bram Stoker classic sponsored by the university’s Lyceum Series.
    “The National Players,” as Sarah Tipton, graduate assistant to the Lyceum Series, explained, “are a group of professional actors that specialize in bringing high quality productions to places that might not usually be able to get them.”
    “Dracula,” based loosely on the real Vlad the Impaler from Romania, follows the path of Abraham Van Helsing as he tries to find Dracula who has come to England in search of a bride.
    “Actually, while the story is based on Bram Stoker’s Dracula, the meat of our performance is based on Dean and Balderston’s version,” Albert Pero, the actor portraying Dracula, said. “There are some changes, but the core of the story remains the same.”
    For instance, some names have been switched around. Lucy and Mina’s characters have been switched so that Lucy is who Dracula seeks. Also, the play is set around the 1920s and ’30s, whereas the book is set in the 1800s. This allows for the introduction of planes, instead of boats, as a method of transportation.
    Some changes come from the company themselves.
    “We added some melodrama and irony,” company touring manager Christopher Reed said. Reed is also the actor portraying vampire hunter Van Helsing. “We are playing to some of the Dracula stereotypes … kind of poking fun of the fact that we’re doing ‘Dracula.'”
    Other changes, such as the play never leaving England (and thus never going to Dracula’s homeland) are made out of necessity because of the size of the players and the nature of their frantic touring schedule.
    “What makes us unique,” Reed said, “is that we are one self-sustained company.”
    Reed said the 12 people filling the acting roles are also the 12 that do all the lighting, sets and other work behind the scenes.
    “If someone’s not on stage, then they’re in the back setting up an audio cue or something like that,” Pero, who is also the setmaster, said.
    The company also puts on two different plays for each tour (although not necessarily playing them both in every venue), and each actor acts in both of them.
    Not only are they constantly traveling, but they also have only a few hours between arriving at the venue and the time of the performance. In that time, the company has to assess the venue and decide what changes need to be made to the set to accommodate the ever-changing stage size.
    “The venue provides us with electricity and a crowd, and we provide everything else,” Reed said.
    And, as Reed explained further, it can be very exciting, but very grueling work.
    “Part of my job is akin to something like managing a rock band,” he said. “Not only am I in constant contact with the sponsors and venues, but I’m also making sure that everyone is happy.”
    “We’re all very close and love each other very much,” Pero said. “But when you’re packed in tight like sardines and travel around for nine straight months constantly loading, unloading and practicing, things can get a bit tense. Mental and physical health are of the utmost importance.”
    But being in such a tight knit (sometimes too tight) group can have its advantages.
    “The longer we stay together, the more we learn about each other,” Reed said. “And that enables us to develop ourselves and our characters more and more as times goes on. The experience is invaluable to not only my career, but my life as well.”
    “Dracula” will open Feb. 7 at 7:30 p.m. in the McComas Hall Theatre.
    Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for senior citizens, $4 for children and free for MSU students with a valid ID.