Paranoia: It’s all in your head

Paranoia gets you nowhere. Profound, isn’t it?
    It seems so simple, yet it’s seemingly impossible to grasp. It’s a lesson that we all should commit to our eternal memory.
    Paranoia sneaks up on you when you least expect it. Sometimes there is absolutely no justification for the feelings of personal insecurity; other times there is justification for doubt but not for paranoia.
    Paranoia starts with a little worry and, with remarkable momentum, develops into a night of tears and internal anger that seem to never end. One moment you’re wondering why your partner hasn’t called you; the next, you’re trying to figure out how you can possibly go on as a single person.
    So why does this happen? How can a simple question turn into a week’s worth of internal panic?
    The most common cause of paranoia is the fear of losing someone that is incredibly important to you.
    Even if we don’t realize it, we all have a list of things we don’t like about ourselves. When your emotions take the smallest step away from “stable,” everything you find ugly about yourself consumes your thoughts, and if these feelings don’t fade, you eventually find yourself wondering just how anyone else could even think of being with you.
    Within minutes, those few extra pounds turn into out-of-control obesity. Those average biceps become boney arms surrounded by flab. The image you see in the mirror goes from being less-than-perfect to absolutely treacherous.
    Stop it! You don’t see it now, but you’re probably being facetious. Your partner is obviously interested in you for something, if not everything. If he or she wasn’t interested, don’t you think you would know instead of wonder? If you keep living in paranoia, you’re only going to run your partner away.
    So, save your relationship and calm your nerves. The worry isn’t worth the repercussions.
    Michael Robert is a sophomore studying mathematics. Send your relationship questions and comments to [email protected].