Football opens season with South Carolina

Steve Spurrier has had no success at Scott Field.
    On Aug. 31, he will get another crack at winning a game in Davis-Wade Stadium.
    The Bulldogs will host South Carolina in a Thursday night game to open the 2006 season in a nationally televised game on ESPN.
    “We’re excited to have the opportunity to play in the national spotlight to open our football season,” MSU head coach Sylvester Croom said. “It will serve as a great motivator for our football team as we go through our off-season conditioning, spring practice, and August two-a-days.”
    Spurrier, now in his second season as head coach at South Carolina, has lost both games he has coached in at Scott Field.
    While head coach at Florida, Spurrier won six Southeastern Conference Championships, one national title and never won less that nine games in his 12 seasons with the Gators.
    But one thing he never accomplished is winning at Scott Field.
    In 1992, his third season at Florida, Spurrier’s Gators fell to the Bulldogs 30-6 at Scott Field. In 2000 State beat Florida 47-35 at home.
    Along with that schedule change, Mississippi State will play University of Alabama-Birmingham in Birmingham, Ala., Saturday Sept. 23.
    Those two dates are officially set, but the rest of the Bulldog’s 2006 football schedule remains tentative.
    Some highlights of the tenative schedule include a non-conference game with West Virginia slated for Oct. 7.
    The Bulldogs’ tentative schedule also shows State starting the season with three home games.
    The Egg Bowl is set tentatively for Nov. 25. Excluding the season opener, no other game has been set for a television audience.