Dean of business accepts new job

A Mississippi State University dean has accepted a position as dean of Oklahoma State University’s business school.
    Dean Sara Freedman of the College of Business and Industry has accepted the position of dean of the William S. Spears School of Business at OSU, The Associated Press reported.
    Freedman, who is also a professor of management, came to Mississippi State seven years ago from the University of Houston, where she served as the dean of the College of Business and Administration.
    She will succeed Gregory Moiser, an interim dean at OSU who has been serving as the interim dean since 2004 when the previous dean, James R. Lumpkin, stepped down from the position.
    Freedman received her bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Boston University in 1970, and also received her doctorate in Organizational Behavior from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
    Sophomore general business administration major John Mark McIntosh said he was sorry to lose Freedman.
    “I hope that the new dean will make the College of Business and Industry better-rounded academically, as well as more prominent on the campus,” he said.
    Lou Capella, the associate dean of the College of Business and Industry and a professor of marketing, said, “It is disappointing to see someone leave who has done so much for the university, but at the same time it is exciting to have a new person coming in.”
    As far as the new dean goes, there is a want for “someone that is progressive and has positive interaction with the outside business community and other universities,” Capella said.
    Freedman will leave this summer to take on her new job at OSU, where she will earn $300,000 per year.
    The Associated Press contributed to this article.