Bush decries U.S. oil habit

President Bush delivered his State of the Union address Tuesday night, emphasizing development of alternative energy sources, the war on terrorism and revitalizing the economy. The address, which aired at 8 p.m., brought mixed reactions from opposite political parties.
    “He did a good job laying out the challenges in Iraq, bringing out the seriousness of our crisis with Iran and the need for independence from foreign oil,” Sen. John McCain (R-Arizona) told CNN. “I do believe that he transmitted a very appropriate sense of urgency with the idea that we are addicted to foreign oil.”
    McCain, along with other Republican government officials, praised Bush for his stress on the need to develop alternative sources of energy.
    Bush laid out a plan to deal with the growing dependence on foreign oil.
    “Since 2001, we have spent nearly $10 billion to develop cleaner, cheaper, more reliable alternative energy sources-and we are on the threshold of incred ible advances,” Bush said. “Tonight, I announce the Advanced Energy Initiative: to change how we power our homes and offices, we will invest more in zero-emission coal-fired plants, revolutionary solar and wind technologies and clean, safe nuclear energy.”
    Some feel that this is an empty promise, with little hope these plans will be enacted soon.
    “When it comes to energy, Americans are using more than ever, paying more for it and are more dependent on the Middle East than ever before,” Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine said. “The administration is falling behind in other critical areas: protecting the environment, health care and keeping jobs in America.”
    McCain disagrees. He said that nuclear power should and can be developed now. America has the technology, and should use it, he said. McCain believes that the development of nuclear power is hindered only by the stigma it carries.
    “I think, first of all, you could embark on nuclear power plants now. It’s a problem of psychology rather than technology,” he said.
    Kaine, however, feels that the government is too wrapped up in partisan politics and blinded by the situation in Iraq to focus on energy concerns and new strategies for the war.
    “The president called again tonight for our commitment to win the war on terrorists,” he said. “We can. We must defeat those that attack and kill innocent people, but our commitment compels us to ask this question: Are the president’s policies the best way to win this war?”
    Bush reiterated in his speech that America will not stand for terrorism, and will do everything in its power to stop the destruction of innocent people and the crumbling of democracy.
    “There is no peace in retreat. And there is no honor in retreat,” Bush said. “The United States will not retreat from the world, and we will never surrender to evil.”
    Most agree that America is a country on edge, dealing with problems in the economy, terrorism and a global energy crisis. However, all have a different approach to dealing with America’s dilemmas.
    “Our greatest need is for America to heal its partisan wounds and become one people, Kaine ended. “Tonight we pray for that healing and for the day when service returns again as a better way for national politics. Together America can do better.”
    Bush called for a similar action.
    “In a system of two parties, there will always be differences and debate,” he said. “But even tough debates can be conducted in a civil tone, and our differences cannot be allowed to harden into anger. To confront the great issues before us, we must act in a spirit of good will and respect for one another-and I will do my part. Tonight the state of our union is strong-and together we will make it stronger.”