Islam not about violence, war

A controversial cartoon sparked violence from Muslim extremists. I can already hear the tainted logic of many patriots and ignorant Americans: Muslims are our violent enemies.
    The cartoon was initially published in Denmark and later reprinted in Norway. One image portrayed Islam prophet Mohammed wearing a lit bomb on his head as a turban. Outraged by what they saw as blasphemy, Muslim protestors in Syria burned the Danish and Norwegian embassies.
    More violence ensued Monday. Muslims from Afghanistan to Indonesia have staged visceral protests, resulting in deaths and injuries.
    Yet we should never say all or the majority of Muslims are against humankind and decency.
    When you read the news, it usually doesn’t seem that way. Muslims mainly make the news when they destroy or kill.
    However, even the media can provide insight sometimes. In the Web article “Protestors burn consulate over cartoons,” CNN.com said, “Protests in Afghanistan were more peaceful. About 3,000 people marched through the town of Mihtarlam 60 miles east of Kabul, chanting anti-Danish slogans and burning a Danish flag.”
    Whether or not you support flag burning, this story presented a more civilized side to the followers of Islam. Look carefully at the news, and you will see other stories like this. Unfortunately, that’s still not enough evidence to convince most people that Muslims aren’t cold-blooded murderers.
    The majority of the media will report more on Islamic extremism than the thoughtful and true side of Islam. A word they often use is “jihad,” one of the most infamous words in the past few years. But “jihad” has three different meanings.
    Most hear “jihad” and think “holy war” or “violence against Islam’s enemies.” According to reputed sociologist Ronald L. Johnstone, that definition is not the primary meaning of the word.
    Jihad has two other meanings that define the Muslim faith.
    First, it can mean to struggle against one’s self; in other words, you fight against your evil inclinations. Second, it can mean to exert energy for the betterment of Islam (e.g. converting nonbelievers). Neither of these meanings call for violence.
    Another point is the most heinous actions from Muslims occur mainly for political purposes. The al Qaeda terrorist group is a good example. Johnstone claims the terrorists have the sole purpose of taking down America. They simply use Islam and scripture to justify their misdeeds.
    Even the word Islam suggests that extremists don’t accurately represent the religion. Look in a dictionary or encyclopedia. Islam means “to make peace, surrender.” These terrorists and violent believers contradict the very name of their claimed religion.
    There’s something more important than the free speech debate that surrounds this current issue. It’s how people perceive those they don’t understand. Always keep in mind that what you hear doesn’t necessarily convey the feelings of the majority or the true believers.
    Humankind could gain some legitimacy if we would research religions like Islam instead of brainwashing ourselves with sensational headlines.