French Revolution hits town

The Mississippi State tennis team’s season has had its fair share of ups and downs: no chance to get to .500 in the SEC, heartbreaking losses to top 25 teams. But when there is always a bad side to things, there is always a good side.
    The upside for MSU’s season has been the outstanding play of sophomore sensation Pierre Mouillon. The home crowd has embraced Mouillon, and in return he has given MSU outstanding play. Standing at an even six feet and weighing 170 pounds, the Le Perreux, France, native will be a force to be reckoned with in the future.
    His success started in the fall. At the time, he was ranked 121st nationally going 8-5. Over the Christmas holiday, he worked to elevate his game.
    “I went back home in Paris. I took a few days off to rest with my family and have some good time with my friends,” Mouillon said. “Then I spent the rest of my break practicing with my coach and one of my best friends who plays the pro tour. I did mainly a lot of conditioning because I wanted to start the season in great shape.”
    His hard work paid off. He started the dual match season with a thrilling three-set win over University of Alabama Birmingham’s Anton Marvin, who he had lost to in the fall in the Crimson Tide Invitational, also in three sets.
    Practice is the only way a player can get better, and Mouillon outlined his typical week of practice. In the early part of the week he works on refining his singles and doubles game. Since most matches are played on the weekends he uses the days before to play some practice matches to get the feel for match-time situations.
    Before Spring Break, Mouillon had compiled a 5-2 record in dual match singles play. During the break he blossomed into an outstanding player, winning all three of his matches in the Blue-Gray Collegiate Classic in straight sets.
    His performance earned him SEC player of the Week, announced March 22. He is the 10th Bulldog to earn the honor since it was started in 2000.
    “It was great. I was on the road to Lexington to play Kentucky when a teammate told me that I have just been named SEC player of the week,” he said. “I was really surprised.” Earning SEC player of the week has given him more motivation to succeed this season.
    “I do not want to stop here,” he said. “Now I will try to keep playing good to be named all SEC at the end of the season. Then I would be completely satisfied of my season.”
    This season has also been a maturation phase for Mouillon, who some fans call “the magician.”
    “I think that I have gained a lot in maturity. I approach my matches in a much better way,” Mouillon said. “I had to get used with the idea of playing for a school because it is really different from my country. Now I can handle that kind of pressure. It gives me motivation, while it was getting me tight my freshman year.”
    His maturity has shown so far. Right now, he stands at 10-4 in dual matches and 5-3 in the SEC. During his stretch, he has beaten two players ranked in the top 50 at the time they played.
    Today, Mouillon and the Bullogs (4-10, 1-7) host top-ranked Georgia (19-0, 8-0) to help kick off Super Bulldog Weekend. Georgia has the top ranked player in the country in 6-foot-9 giant John Isner and three more players ranked in the top 50.
    The match starts at 2 p.m. at the A.J Pitts Tennis Center. The Lady Bulldogs (3-12, 1-7) go to Athens to go against No. 25 Georgia (9-8, 5-3).