Tennis squads endure rough weekend

The Mississippi State Lady Bulldogs had a rough weekend, losing to No. 24 South Carolina Friday and Sunday to No. 4 Florida. The men also dropped both weekend matches against South Carolina and No. 7 Florida.
    The Lady Dawgs’ (2-7, 0-2) losing streak is now at three. Against the Gamecocks State dropped all three doubles matches to start.
    At the No. 1 spot, Anastasia Kugakolova and Polina Kokoulina fell to Gira Schofield and Natasa Vuckovic 8-2. At the No. 2 spot, Martina Banikova and Elna de Villiers lost to Laura Ganzer and Megan McGavok 8-1, and at the No. 3 spot Renee Joseph and Daniela Juskova lost to Miranda Gutirrez and Danielle Wiggins 8-2.
    South Carolina wasted no time putting the match away, running off three straight singles wins.
    The lone single win for the Lady Dawgs came from senior Kugakolova at the No. 1 spot. She defeated No. 46 Schofield 6-1, 3-6, 6-1. With that win she’s seventh on the school’s career singles win chart with 62 victories.
    Sunday would not bring any better results for the Maroon and White. The No. 4 Gators, who lead the all-time series 26-0, came to town and put the broom to the Lady Dawgs, taking the doubles point and winning all singles matches in straight sets.
    The lone win came from Kugakolova and Kokoulina. They upset the 60th-ranked duo of Whitney Benik and Alexis Gordon 8-7(5). This win marked the only win of the season over a ranked opponent for Kugakolova and Kokoulina.
    Men’s
    Friday the Bulldogs lost 5-2 in Columbia, SC. The Gamecocks took away the final two matches, both in three sets to claim the victory.
    South Carolina took control of the match early, winning the doubles point. State’s only win was Ryan Farlow and Florent Girod defeating Thomas Stoddard and Joseph Veeter 8-5 at the No. 3 spot.
    South Carolina pulled away farther with a win at No. 1 singles. Bjelica fell to Eklund 6-2, 6-3. State got its first point at the No. 4 spot. Mouillon defeated Knorr 6-2, 6-3. Girod lost his first dual-match of the season when he fell to Adam Adler 7-5, 6-3, but Eric Lim beat Stoddard 0-6, 6-3, 6-2 to keep the match close. Lim played in his first dual match of his career. South Carolina picked up the final two matches and the overall win.
    Frayssinoux fell to Cuellar 5-7, 6-4, 6-4 at the No. 2 spot. Pinto fell to Supeko 6-7, 3-6, 2-6.
    Sunday the Netmen traveled to Gainesville, Fla., to take on the No. 7 Gators and left with another loss, going down 6-1.
    With the doubles score tied at one, Stefan Tell and Nestor knocked off Bjelica and Pinto 8-7(2) to take the doubles point.
    At the No. 4 spot Mouillon defeated Brandi 6-4, 6-4 to earn the only point for the Bulldogs.