Headliners confirmed for Old Main Music Festival

Country and rock fans will have plenty to be excited about at this year’s Old Main Music Festival. The April 22 show will have performances by Old Union, Billy Currington and Drive-By Truckers starting at 7 p.m.
    Each of the bands set to perform are influenced heavily by country and rock ‘n’ roll, and even though they may be less familiar than last year’s acts, crowds will still be out in support for these popular bands, Student Association director of external affairs Tyler Wolfe said.
    “Billy Currington had a number one country single, and he’s got another single that he just released,” Wolfe said. “Drive-By Truckers have been traveling around here for a long time; they’re really big in the underground scene; a lot of people have heard of them, so I think they’ll bring out a lot of people.”
    Drive-By Truckers, hailing from Muscle Shoals, Ala., will headline the music festival.
    According to the band’s Web site, after two years on the road, documented by their 2000 live album Alabama Ass Whuppin’, the band has morphed into a tight self-contained unit playing about 200 dates each year. Independent almost to a fault, they also managed to self-finance, record and release a 20-song, double-CD about growing up in Muscle Shoals, people’s misconceptions of Southerners and “The Duality of The Southern Thing.”
    2001’s Southern Rock Opera hit a nerve with fans and critics alike, earning a four-star review in Rolling Stone and ending up on many national year-end lists.
    In 2003, they released Decoration Day, a 14-song album that was even better-received than its predecessor, ending up on year-end lists all over the world, including a very impressive finish in Village Voice’s prestigious Pazz and Jop Poll, picked as Album of the Year in Harp and Band of the Year in No Depression.
    In the middle of the set will be country singer Billy Currington, who has already made a name for himself with his top 10 country hits “Walk A Little Straighter” and “I Got a Feelin’,” off his 2003 self-titled debut CD. Currington also sang with Shania Twain on her 2004 hit “Party for Two.” He is now promoting his sophomore CD Doin’ Something Right.
    A fan of Currington’s, freshman communication major Raven Fritz said Currington’s music is all about having a good time and relaxing with friends.
    “It’s about good people having good times,” Fritz said. “He has a mix of down-home country and bluesy soul in his voice. I just love his sound and his music. I’ve seen him in concert in Choctaw, and the show he puts on is great.”
    The opening act will be Nashville native Old Union. According to the band’s Web site, Old Union was formed in 2001 by Chuck Foster on keyboards and lead vocals, Johnny Zvolensky on guitars, Steve “Spotty” Swertfeger on guitars and vocals, Ben Bridges on bass and vocals and David Bryndal on drums.
    Old Union’s debut CD Forgiveness Or Permission released in December 2003, drew favorable reviews from numerous outlets around the country. The CD, which featured guest vocals from rock legend Bonnie Bramlett led to a successful Bramlett/Old Union Northeastern tour.
    Their non-stop touring schedule has taken them from coast-to-coast with appearances at high-profile festivals including Bonnaroo, High Sierra Music Festival and Blue Ridge Harvest Festival. They have appeared with artists including North Mississippi All Stars, Govt. Mule, Allman Brothers Band, Black Crowes and The Charlie Daniels Band.