Nation will rise like Phoenix after attack

The United States has risen like the mythical Phoenix from the ashes to become a stronger, closer and more determined nation. We all have heavy hearts at the loss of life. We all have feelings of anger toward those who have committed and assisted these acts. We all grieve with the families, friends and even those who never knew the victims. However, there are some things occurring here in our own community that are threatening to allow the terrorists to achieve what they set out to do. Those who planned and carried out these acts did not only intend to kill thousands of people and damage our national infrastructure. They wanted to change the very face of America. They wanted the things we hold so dear as Americans to end. Freedom, peace and brotherly love are some of our highest ideals. They wanted to end that. They wanted the United States to close itself. They wanted us to turn against one another and begin fearing our fellow citizens. They wanted to show that Americans do not keep their lofty ideals but are hypocritical. We do not give freedom to all. Can they be right?
    Last week I found myself in a state of shock and horror. I was startled at the smallest sound. I found myself in long lines at the gas station. Then I began hearing even more troubling news. Price gouging was occurring all over the nation. People were cutting in line at the gas pumps. People were exploiting the generosity of our fellow Americans with Web schemes. The worst of all is that some of our fellow Americans are being hounded. Racial slurs and acts of violence against Arab-Americans are running rampant. Even here in Starkville, the local mosque was egged and rocked and I want to know why? Are we what those who attacked us believed? Should we let the things that certain people have done cause us to persecute those who look similar to them?
    As a person who is half American Indian, I have done some reflecting. Should I be segregated because my ancestors fought against the European settlers to keep their land? Should I be forced to stay in my apartment because of the loss of life at Little Bighorn? Should I be placed in a high priority class for observation? Can I be expected to go out and start scalping people? Of course not! I am not fighting anyone. I have been a member of the U.S. Army R.O.T.C. program for two years. I am a loyal American who always salutes the flag at football and baseball games. I believe fervently in the American way of life. I now work in law enforcement, attempting to protect and serve the people of our community. I will gladly volunteer for service in the U.S. military if I can, and if the draft is opened I will gladly serve and even lay down my life for America. So does this mean that now I am all right?
    What about Japanese Americans. During World War II, 77,000 of them were taken to internment camps and forced to live there, not because they actually posed a threat but because of their race they were thought to pose a threat. The Japanese American community is not the same today. Was that right? At the time it seemed OK. It wasnOt. Those Japanese Americans who served the United States in the military during World War II were some of the most decorated and dedicated soldiers in history. Yet they still receive little, if any recognition for their efforts.
    Finally there are Arab-Americans and Americans who worship the Islamic faith. Should we put them in internment camps? Should we stop them and inspect them every time we see them? Should we persecute and avoid them simply because they are of another faith or race? Should we destroy their attempts to access their opportunities? Should we kill all of them or force them out of the country? Hopefully, the answer is no. Yet I have heard people say these things. I have seen the mosque in Starkville attacked. On the news I have seen reports of these very things being perpetuated.
    One may ask, are you not angry at those who did this? Are you a person who sympathizes? Yes, I am angry, extremely angry and as the president said, OHe is wanted dead or alive.O I agree, however, we must separate our anger for those who did this from the innocent people of this nation.
    Bush has said it best: OWe should be ashamed!O Are we going to let those who wanted to change America into a police state win? Are we the hypocrites? Will we forget our own basic beliefs of human rights and the Bill of Rights? Not as long as we are true Americans.
    As we fly our flags and sing patriotic songs, we reaffirm our belief in those very things. The rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are just as meaningful today as they were when Ben Franklin wrote them. We must remember who we are. We must remember what we stand for. We must band together as Oone nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.O I ask of you, my fellow Americans, not to let this tragedy lead to a more tragic destruction of our nation. Let us all come together to wage this war against terrorism and rebuild!
    -Kevin W. Martin
    Student