Report: Mississippi tailback arrested twice in two years

Mississippi running back Joe Gunn has been arrested twice during the past 29 months on drug charges, according to published reports. The Commercial Appeal of Memphis reported the arrests Friday after obtaining legal documents. Gunn, whose team did not play Saturday, could not be immediately contacted for comment.
    Gunn, a senior starter, was arrested on April 22, 1999 for possession of marijuana, the report said. He eventually pleaded guilty to simple possession and paid $695.50 in fines and court costs, it said.
    Lafayette County District Attorney Jim Hood, who handled the case, confirmed the misdemeanor charge to the newspaper.
    Gunn also was arrested in Monroe County on May 25 for speeding and was charged with possession of marijuana and driving under the influence, the report said. He pleaded guilty to speeding and not guilty on the DUI and possession charges.
    The newspaper said Gunn’s .106 blood alcohol level at the time of arrest was above the state limit of .10 and he was found guilty of the DUI. He has appealed that decision. The possession charge was not prosecuted.
    Gunn paid $157 in fines and court costs for the May 2001 arrest, according to the records reviewed by the newspaper.
    Gunn’s attorney, Steven Farese Sr., did not immediately return a phone message left Saturday by The Associated Press.
    Both Ole Miss athletic director John Shafer and football coach David Cutcliffe said they were aware of Gunn’s legal problems.
    Cutcliffe said Gunn was disciplined, but he would not discuss details.
    He has played in every Ole Miss game for the past three seasons.
    “We took disciplinary action, which has long since been done,” Cutcliffe told The Commercial Appeal. “(Gunn) has done everything we have asked him to do, socially, athletically and academically. He’s done everything we’ve asked him to do, and I have no problems with what he’s done.