Volleyball team struggles past Southern Mississippi

A week after the tragedies across the nation, the Mississippi State Volleydogs opened up home competition against in-state, non-conference rival Southern Mississippi. Both the Bulldogs and Golden Eagles were idle last week following the events. The Bulldogs successfully opened a 10-match home season with a win over USM 3-2.
    “This was a very up and down game tonight,” coach Brenda Bowlin said. “We did a lot of things well and then we did some things not so well. It all comes down to basic fundamentals and execution.”
    MSU jumped out and took game one 30-25 but could not get things going in game two, as Southern Miss took it 30-19.
    In game three, the Bulldogs came out swinging and took a 2-1 match lead, winning 30-22. USM, on the other hand, would not stay down, as the Golden Eagles tied the match up at two games all with a 30-20 win in game four.
    “The talent is there,” Bowlin said, “it’s getting it all together and playing as a whole.”
    With the Southern Miss win in game four, MSU had to play a fifth and final game to decide the match.
    “This fifth game is a gut check,” Bowlin said. “I tell the girls there is no magic, find a way to win.”
    The Bulldogs did exactly that. Down 11 to 7, the Bulldogs found a way to win, taking the game and match with a 15-12 final game and match 3-2.
    With the win, the Bulldogs improved their record to four wins and three losses, preparing for the upcoming SEC schedule.
    “Dawn (Steinhauser) was key with those last two serves to get the win,” Bowlin stated, “and Ashley Sledge came in with some nice kills. She’s getting better and better.”
    Another big key on the night for MSU was the play of Misty Hubenthal, who finished with 20 kills and a career high 21 digs. This performance gave Hubenthal her second consecutive double double of the season.
    The Bulldogs will return to action this weekend with trips to SEC foes Auburn on Friday and Alabama on Sunday. MSU will return home to Newell-Grissom when they host South Carolina Friday, Sept. 28, at 7 p.m, then play host to Jacksonville State, Saturday, Sept. 29 with a 4 p.m. game time.