Softball begins practice

Mississippi State softball head coach Kathy Arendsen put her team through its first full-team practice Wednesday afternoon and was fully impressed with the noticeable improvement her team showcased. “It’s exciting to see the intensity and desire our players are training with,” Arendsen said. “Added maturity to our returning players and an outstanding group of newcomers have really benefitted our team. The coaching staff is eager to see our team in a competitive scrimmage this weekend.”
    The Bulldogs return seven starters from last year’s 36-26 team that barely missed securing their second-straight berth in NCAA Regionals. Among the returnees are three-time all-American Kellie Wilkerson and all-SEC outfielder Iyhia McMichael.
    Although still slightly inexperienced, primarily in a pitching staff that consists of a pair of highly-recruited freshmen, State still possesses the experience and depth that helped carry the Bulldogs to the No. 16 seed overall in the 2000 NCAA Regionals. The Bulldogs will have just two seniors on this year’s squad, mixed in with the experience of four juniors and seven sophomores. Mississippi State signed five newcomers, including one junior college transfer, during the recruiting period.
    However, State will be without the services of a trio of returnees for much of the fall. The senior Wilkerson will be out indefinitely while nursing a back injury, and sophomore catcher Blaire Brown (knee) and sophomore second baseman Lindsay Nelson (shoulder) will miss a majority of fall practice rehabilitating off-season surgeries.
    “This is the first year that injuries are playing a major role in our fall preparation,” Arendsen said. “Not having Kellie (Wilkerson) and Blaire (Brown) on the field is difficult, yet it allows others more opportunity to show their talent and gain experience. Lindsay (Nelson) is progressing well; she’s actually participating in much of practice.”
    Mississippi State will practice through Friday from 3 to 5:30 p.m. at the MSU Softball Field and will scrimmage Saturday at the facility. All practices and scrimmages are open to the general public.