In regard to the opinion editor

In regard to the opinion editor’s slandering remarks in the Oct. 16 The Reflector, I feel that it was necessary to extend the same rudeness and disrespect that Zackory Kirk extended toward James Meredith. James Meredith is, as the opinion editor wrote, a legend and an icon and a person who deserves respect. I attended Meredith’s speech, and I do not agree with some of his points. However, I still respect him for his adversity and for all of the hurdles that he has overcome.
    Those of us who came to hear James Meredith speak did just that. There were no preconceived notions of what the people wanted to hear him speak about, nor were there any details that led us to believe that Meredith would talk about the history of our state. Kirk wrote that “many people were let down and greatly disappointed” after hearing Meredith. I found this to be a fallacy. Many of the people I talked to told me that they enjoyed the speech, and the only thing which disappointed them was a disrespectful opinion editor with racism on the brain.
    For centuries, people have been persecuted and discriminated against for many reasons. The Jews were slaves to the Egyptians. Then the Germans massacred and enslaved hundreds of thousands of Jews during World War II. Do you hear anyone bringing the Holocaust back up to hit on the issue of discrimination? No. The only thing that is important about the past is that we learn from our mistakes. Meredith has experienced racism and discrimination in its truest form. Do you think he likes to constantly bring up all of the pain and suffering that he experienced? I doubt it. It is obvious that he has chosen to move on to the next stage in his life, not forget about it.
    As for the English language, it is the decision of our government that every student be taught English during our secondary and continuing education pursuits. Ebonics is defined in the dictionary as Black English, but as Kirk so plainly illustrated, he is an African-American.
    Students are not taught how to speak or write Ebonics in any country, so it can therefore be deemed improper or slang dialect. Meredith is not a master of the English language, nor are any of us, but it can safely be determined that for any of us to succeed in America, we must have a great understanding and appreciation for the English language, since it is one of the primary language of our country.
    Meredith does not advocate discrimination, nor does he claim to be anything that he is not. Meredith is a person who has seen the darkest sides of our country, but even he has chosen to open his eyes to the limitless opportunities of the 21st century. If anyone should feel insulted, it should be Meredith. He came to Mississippi State University to enlighten us, but was instead met with incompetent and diminutive criticism from a columnist who would not know discrimination if it was staring him dead in the face.
    I find it compelling that James Meredith has overcome the darkest aspects of racism and discrimination, but, for some reason, Kirk, a person who has reaped the benefits of Meredith and others like him, cannot move into the 21st century.
    As a result of his crude remarks against Meredith, I think Kirk should write a formal public apology for his disrespect.
    – Ryan Paulk
    Student