Tommy Kelly Shores up defensive line

Like many of the players that come and go through the football program at Mississippi State University, defensive lineman Tommy Kelly is a junior college transfer. Kelly started his collegiate career at Hinds Community College before making his journey north to play for coach Jackie Sherrill. At 6 feet 6 inches and 306 pounds, Kelly is a physical specimen. It’s hard for opposing offensive players to look across the line and not notice him on the other side. At Mississippi State, the defensive linemen are not only big, they are quick, and Kelly is no exception.
    Unlike most NCAA Division 1-A players, Kelly only played one year in high school. At Provine High School, Kelly was a defensive lineman and tight end. During that one season, Kelly was credited with 102 tackles, 11 of which were sacks. He was listed as one of the top nine defensive lineman in the country following his career at Provine. Kelly was also listed as one of the top 25 players in the state of Mississippi by The Clarion-Ledger, and was only one of two defensive players on that list.
    The list of honors and recognitions goes on.
    Through the first five games of the 2001 campaign, Kelly has only started in two but has played in all five. He has has a solid season thus far for the Bulldogs, recording 16 tackles and recovering one fumble. Although this season is a dismal one by Bulldog standards, Kelly is keeping a positive attitude.
    “I believe if we can get a win, then we’ll be alright. We’re getting better,” Kelly said.
    With three years of eligibility left at MSU, Kelly will no doubt have a chance to establish himself as a leader on the Bulldog defense and on the team as a whole.
    “We’re just not getting the breaks right now, but we still feel like we have a chance to win when we come out of the locker room,” Kelly said after the loss to Troy State.
    Next up for Kelly and the Bulldogs is a date with unranked LSU Saturday night at Davis-Wade Stadium.