City, students unite

As part of Impact Mississippi, Mayor Mack Rutledge and the Starkville Board of Aldermen answered questions in Simrall Auditorium Wednesday night about recent issues concerning Mississippi State University students in the community.Impact Mississippi is a voter registration drive at colleges across Mississippi created by MSU students Jane Anna Harris, Josh Blades and Alyssa Boswell.
    “The turnout tonight shows how interested MSU students are,” Blades said.
    About 70 people attended to hear the aldermen and mayor speak about beautification and city improvement projects and the importance of a relationship between the city and the university.
    Alderman Frank Davis talked about establishing quarterly meetings to continue a two-phase program between the city and campus. The most recent was Monday morning at the M-Club.
    One plan calls for shuttle buses driving between the university and town.
    “I think we’re on the way to doing something together,” Davis said.
    Alderman Vic Zitta also spoke of improving campus to city connections.
    “We’re constructing a major entrance to the university,” Zitta said, referring to the widening of Blackjack Road. As a retired civil engineer, Zitta said he felt five lanes would improve traffic flow.
    A topic concerning students possibly living in the city was also discussed.
    Alderwoman Marie Lee explained that scrutiny at recent city meetings about the definition of single family dwelling began when the Green Oaks Homeowners Association noticed an error in the zoning ordinance.
    Problems, such as noise violations and yard parking, that result from crowded or full rental houses were among reasons people requested the board to update the wording.
    “We’re still looking at the definition,” Davis said. “It has to do with what we intend and stand up to a judicial challenge.”
    Looking at how other land-grant towns of similar populations use zoning laws are part of the deliberation process used to resolve the currently non-implementable ordinances.
    Lee also considered a major problem for students living in the city to be a lack of communication with permanent residents. “It’s a struggle,” Lee said.
    “Neighbors don’t get to know neighbors,” Zitta said. “That’s where the conflict starts.”
    Reasons for the veto of a proposed extension of alcohol serving hours were asked of Mayor Rutledge.
    “I thought it was the thing to do,” Rutledge said. He said he considered the proposal too aggressive.
    If the amendment had been for home MSU football games only, the mayor said he would not have vetoed it, the extended hours would have applied to the five home games this year.
    The mayor also felt the board acted hastily presenting this proposal, but said he does not hold any disrespect.
    “I think they are highly talented and capable,” Rutledge said.