Werges Stops opponents’ shots

Like several of her rookie teammates, freshman goal keeper Krystal Werges is adjusting to the changes that accompany a student athlete’s first year at college. Until this year, Werges had lived in the same house in the Denver suburb of Littleton. Now, 1,300 miles away, she resides in front of Mississppi State University’s soccer net. Werges cited two big differences about playing at MSU: a much more plentiful supply of oxygen and the draining effects of the increased humidity. The increased amount of oxygen has helped, and the humidity has not been too formidable as Werges has started all twelve games, amassing over 1,000 minutes, while posting four shutouts for the 8-4(1,1 SEC) Lady Bulldogs.
    “We are fortunate to have three talented goalies,” head soccer coach Neil McGuire said. “Krystal starts because of the good choices she makes when distributing the ball.”
    The solid, stingy play (only allowing an average of 1.43 goals/game) that she delivers to the field, combined with a potent MSU offense that is averaging 2.7 goals/game has proven to be a formula for wins.
    McGuire first came across Werges while coaching in the Olympic Development Program, where Werges had played since her freshman year at Columbine High School. While at Columbine, her team made it to the state finals three out of four years.
    “I loved my high school, and my coach was a big hero to me,” Werges said, as she credited her high school experience and her time on the Region 4 Olympic Development Program team with preparing her for this level of competition.
    The primary goal for this player is “to help the team as much as possible” while continuing to work on technique and diving as well as dealing with an occassional error.
    “We strive for personal bests,” McGuire said. “We don’t measure success in wins or losses, just daily improvements.”
    Everyone has a chance to see the Lady Bulldogs do this today at 4 p.m. against Auburn and in a contest with Alabama at 1 p.m. on Sunday.