Budget cuts worry students, faculty

Mississippi higher education officials are discussing steps to raise salaries for university presidents as they search for two college leaders. Last month, the state College Board began its search for presidents at the University of Southern Mississippi and Mississippi University for Women. “We need higher salaries to be competitive in the marketplace,” College Board Vice President Bryce Griffis said. “Consultants say it’s needed to put you in a competitive situation.”
    Griffis said he wants to raise the state salary to $200,000 at USM, the University of Mississippi and Mississippi State University to match the figure now at Jackson State University. Presidents at USM, Ole Miss and MSU are now paid $150,000, but unlike JSU, they receive supplements from private university foundations. Another proposal is to increase annual salaries for presidents at MUW, Alcorn State, Delta State and Mississippi Valley State universities to $175,000. They are currently paid $134,000 a year. Griffis said it is important that the salaries go up beginning July 1.
    A survey published in the Aug. 31 Chronicle of Higher Education showed the average salary for a president at a doctoral degree-granting institution such as USM is $225,454. Salaries averaged $146,280 for presidents at smaller universities, such as MUW in 2000-2001, the survey said. The findings in the Washington-based higher education trade journal came from a survey of 1,466 public and private colleges and universities by the College and University Professional Association.
    Griffis said the $150,000 state salary for USM’s president ranks at the bottom among Conference USA schools that include Memphis, Louisville and Alabama-Birmingham.
    “Even though times are tough, it’s got to be done, regardless of more money or not,” Griffis said. “This is poor timing because of current budget constraints, but it needs to happen,” Mark Bricka, associate chemical engineering professor, said. “They need to give the presidents a raise when they can give all employees a raise, and doing it right now is not politically correct.”
    Bricka said the entire university budget has decreased, resulting in a lack of raises for the staff for the past few years.
    “It doesn’t sit well politically with the rest of the staff in limbo,” Bricka said. Jeanette Allen, payroll manager, said, “It is not a problem, and I think the president should get a raise. It may not seem fair, but he has such a big responsibility, and I am sure he wishes he could give the staff a raise, too.”
    Cheryl Jue, a junior marketing major, had a strong opinion on the subject.
    “As far as being a student, I haven’t seen him do anything besides give speeches and present things. I don’t know what he has done to deserve that huge amount of a raise. If we have to freeze jobs on campus to save money and cut costs here and there, why should Portera get a raise? It doesn’t make sense that the state can afford to cut our budget,” Jue said.
    “It is up to the 12-member College Board to study his recommendations this fall,” Jue said.
    “The board meets Thursday in Stoneville. While pay for Mississippi university presidents trails national averages and needs attention, we want raises for all our faculty staff,” Bill Crawford, president of College Board, said.
    Crawford said it is going to be difficult for the state to do much more to boost salaries next year because of the financial situation.
    “The salary of the new presidents at MUW and USM will likely be negotiated as part of the appointment process,” said Pam Smith, an assistant higher education commissioner.
    Crawford said the board will probably seek to tap into private foundation sources rather than state funds to increase presidential salaries in some cases.
    “Pulling more money out of either source. It will be very difficult right now,” Crawford said.