Unpatriotic article lacks facts, constitutes slander

In response to the article “Pregame show deemed unsatisfying, unpatriotic,” published in the Oct. 5 edition of The Reflector, I am greatly outraged. I am the Cadet Battalion executive officer for the Army ROTC program here at Mississippi State University. I read the article written by William Hall and was outraged at his unpatriotic words. First, I would like to applaud the efforts of the MSU and South Carolina football teams as they joined our Army and Air Force cadets on the field not as adversaries, but as Americans. Their efforts are symbolic of the pride and solidarity instilled in America.
    Second, in response to Hall’s issue of the “very large flag” touching the ground, I simply say this: The large object that was unfurled before the MSU vs. South Carolina game is not a flag. A flag by definition is a two-sided object that is a symbol of a nation, state or organization. The object at the South Carolina game is only a one-sided representation and is appropriate for these types of ceremonies. Hall went further to state that once a flag touched the ground it must be “destroyed at a proper flag disposal ceremony.” Upon reading that, I was troubled at the accuracy of that statement. I did a little research and found that in USC Title 4, Section 1, the part of the U.S. Code that deals with the American Flag, it states, “The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.” Nowhere in the U.S. Code does it state that once a flag touches the ground it must be destroyed. Remember, the cadets you criticize that were on the field will one day be the Lt Col. Jerry D. Dickersons of our country and will unselfishly give their lives so that you might enjoy your freedoms.
    Next, I would like to address Hall’s attack upon Bonnie Sherrill. It must be easy to sit along the sidelines and criticize a young woman who has courageously volunteered to sing our nation’s anthem. Hall then calls for MSU to find another person capable of singing the national anthem in the key it was originally written. Again, Hall’s ignorance to the fact shows through. The national anthem was originally a poem, written by Francis Scott Key-it was not until later that it was put to the tune of a drinking song.
    In light of the attacks upon this nation and our ongoing military operations around the globe, it escapes me as to why Hall would write such an unpatriotic article. It is my humble opinion that Hall is no better than the unnamed person who broke the moment of silence during the South Carolina game. May I suggest that Hall enroll in a military science course so that he may learn more about our country? Instead of sitting on the sidelines, as easy as that might be, take the road less traveled and support America at this time of need by giving blood, money or even bettering one’s time.
    It is not time for criticism, but instead time for patriotism and solidarity. Stand behind your president, men and women in uniform and fellow countrymen that are showing their support.
    – James L. Crocker
    Student