It’s rodeo time in Starkville

%26%23160%3B

At 10 p.m. on Nov. 3, the livestock will be herded, the rodeo will cease and three major country artists will take the stage at the Mississippi Horse Park and AgriCenter for a honky-tonk good time. With the United States Cowboy Tour coming to town, a little country music is expected, but on Saturday, the AgriCenter will host the Honky Tonk Tailgate Party, featuring singers Daryle Singletary, Rhett Akins and David Ball.
    “Every rodeo needs country music, but these three great artists all coming together at once will be an exciting show,” MSU student Ashley Spell said.
    Bricklee Miller, who works for Promotions for the AgriCenter, said that the horse park has received a tremendous response from the students for the Honky Tonk Tailgate Party.
    Daryle Singletary grew up with a love for singing, winning talent shows in fifth grade, having his own band in the ninth grade and working for Randy Travis, according to his press release.
    While selling merchandise and answering phones for Randy Travis and his wife, Singletary earned his first record deal with Giant Records.
    Since then, Singletary has released “I Let Her Lie,” “Too Much Fun,” “Amen Kind Of Love” and his latest release, “I Knew I Loved You.”
    Singletary is also an avid rodeo fan and competes on a national level in the team roping category.
    With his variety of songs and enthusiastic style, Singletary promises a good show.
    Also appearing Saturday is Akins. According to his biography, Akins, who grew up in Georgia, moved to Nashville with country-singing dreams.
    After his songwriting talents were noticed, Decca Records presented him with a record deal.
    His first album, A Thousand Memories, debuted the song “That Ain’t My Truck” which led to Akins opening for Reba McEntire in concert.
    “I was fortunate enough to land as an opening act on one of her tours,” Akins said in a press release. “I soaked it all in and tried to learn from her.”
    A second record was released shortly after with the chart-topping hit “Don’t Get Me Started.”
    His latest album, What Livin’s All About, gives a “retrospective look” with songs such as “More Than Everything” and “Better Than It Used To Be,” according to a press release.
    Akins now spends his time working with the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, writing songs and performing shows, such as the Honky Tonk Tailgate Party.
    “I think it is very exciting that three upcoming country artists will be coming to town all in one concert,” MSU student Savannah Towe said.
    Ball will also add flavor to the concert with his music that he described in a press release as “an energetic, lyric-driven, dance-hall oriented Texas thing.”
    He has released such songs as “When The Thought of You Catches Up With Me” and “Look What Followed Me Home.”
    Ball has toured with Brooks & Dunn, Alan Jackson and Dwight Yoakam and has been nominated for Grammy, Country Music Association and Academy of Country Music awards.
    Ball said he has been interested in music since junior high, when he played in his first band. Ball’s devotion to pure country and honky-tonk music will complete the Honky Tonk Tailgate Party.
    Krece Harris, of the AgriCenter, said a full house is expected since there are “three major country artists performing one concert for very cheap.”
    Tickets for the rodeo and concert are $25 for Saturday, and a ticket for only the concert is $15.
    Tickets can be purchased at the Oktibbeha County Co-Op, Mossy Oak Outdoor Outlet, the Mississippi Horse Park, the Starkville Convention and Visitors Bureau and Cummulus Broadcasting.
    For more information, contact call 325-0508 or 1-800-649-TOUR.