Advertisers host graphics show

The American Advertising Federation student chapter at Mississippi State University is hosting a graphic design “Kudos Show” in the Architecture School’s Gallery. The opening night is Oct. 2 from 7-9 p.m. and includes a reception with refreshments. Jamie Mixon, the professor sponsor, along with the art faculty, will be in attendance. Artists of all of displayed pieces will also be present on opening night. Gallery hours following opening night are from 8 a.m.-10 p.m. Oct. 3-4 and 8 a.m.-5 p.m. on Oct. 5.
    “In the past six years, I have seen remarkable results in regional, national and international competitions. This ‘Kudos Show’ represents more recent designs from those competitions.”
    The president of the AAF student chapter, Carolyn Horne, said, “The objective of this exhibit is to show MSU students and the Starkville community that the art department is not just learning how to finger-paint and draw between the lines.
    “We are the biggest art department in the state and are dominating local and regional competitions, and not just by a small margin, but by a landslide!”
    Many different designs will be at the show, including editorial designs, brochures, letterheads and campaign projects.
    “You name it; it will be there,” Horne said.
    The AAF, which just started last year, is in the seventh district called the Deep South. This district consists of Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana and Georgia. At this annual competition, MSU students took home 43 percent of the awards, in addition to winning two of the top four awards last year. In last year’s Push Conference in Memphis, Tenn., 13 of the 26 portfolios selected were creations of Mississippi State University graphic design majors. Among these 13 portfolios, four took “Best in Show” honors. MSU students have won national and international competitions in the past.
    Many competitions require schools to have an original chapter before entering. The AAF is for any graphic design student.
    All awards won by graphic design students will be recognized in the upcoming “Kudos Show.”
    Lauren McClure, a participant in the AAF commented, “There is going to be a wide variety of projects shown, and we are all really excited about the ‘Kudos Show.’