Starkville band tattoos name around town

Mississippi State University’s own Blue Tattoo will perform tonight at Dave’s Darkhorse Tavern to promote the release of their self-titled debut album. The concert starts at 9 p.m., and admission is free with the purchase of a CD. Otherwise, there is a $5 cover charge.
    In the meantime, The Reflector caught up with bassist Joe Lowder, guitarist Jamie Blanton and drummer Michael McGrath. Here’s what they had to say.
    The Reflector: Whose baby is that on the CD?
    Blanton: That is the nephew of the guy that did the cover art. I think he put it in as a joke along with some other shots. I looked at the pictures and immediately started laughing at the baby. It just fit because the album doesn’t really have a theme or anything and the baby was just random.
    The Reflector: The last time I talked to any of you was back in February. How much has the band changed since then?
    Lowder: A lot. We have added a keyboard player. That heightens the experience of our live show. We also have Jamie playing guitar now, which is good.
    The Reflector: The songwriting credits list Jim almost exclusively. Do any of you contribute to writing songs?
    Lowder: I completely wrote “Smile Again.”
    Blanton: All of the songs were presented to me as rough acoustic solo songs. Mike, Joe and I spent right at two weeks practicing the songs after I was asked to play on the album. We added some new overall structure and also some new progressions for fills, bridges and choruses. Jim wrote all lyrics except for “Smile Again.”
    McGrath: We all have our own influence in the songs regardless of who wrote them. Besides coming up with the drum parts to the songs, I also help arrange and determine tempos.
    The Reflector: How did you guys get signed?
    Blanton: Yeah, how did we get signed (laughs)?
    The Reflector: Do you guys plan to continue to maintain headquarters in Starkville after graduation?
    Lowder: Who knows?
    Blanton: It would certainly be more convenient, but if I am making $100,000 a show, I’ll live in Colorado Springs and just fly in (laughs). We have talked about staying around, which is easy for me since I will be the last one graduating in spring 2002.
    The Reflector: Mike, you also play for Law of Nature. How does Blue Tattoo compare ?
    McGrath: The bands are totally different. Law of Nature has been playing for several years, so we have a bigger following than Blue Tattoo. Both bands write and record original music, which to me is the only way to go. I don’t mind playing a few covers in the mix, but real talent is being able to write your own music. Any band can play covers and get a crowd going, but the real challenge is getting the crowd going with something you have created.
    Lowder: It is the same kind of feeling music, with a little more jamming and of course, a guy singer.
    The Reflector: What made you guys add the extra “t” in your name?
    Lowder: That is how you spell it correctly, and, as educated citizens, it was our duty to change it.
    The Reflector: This strikes me as being a very moody album. Are the songs reflective of your moods?
    Lowder: No, because then it would be death metal.
    The Reflector: How long did the album take to record?
    Lowder: Two weekends.
    The Reflector: What are your favorite songs on the album?
    Lowder: “What Will the World Think of Me.”
    Blanton: “Becoming Me,” easy, because of the little maj seventh thing in the chorus. I think it sounds the most like me playing. Even though the parts are brief, they are clean and I like them. Also, the first six notes in the “Nature’s Way” solo are the best six I play on the album in my opinion.
    McGrath: My favorite song, “Insane,” is actually one that we wrote after the album was recorded. But I also enjoy “What Will The World Think Of Me.