National drug store chain hits Starkville

The corner of state Highway 12 and U.S. Highway 25 will soon be the new home to another location of the nationwide Walgreens drug store chain. “The simple fact that Walgreens is coming to Starkville is a clear indication of the growth of our city,” city planner Larry Jones said.
    Jones said when a national chain recognizes potential, they decide to build in a new location. Originally, the site was purchased by the Rite Aid drug store chain, but due to corporation problems, the site was sold to Walgreens.
    Jones said the new business will open around March or April 2002.
    “The design is a very nice brick with two drive-through lanes-it’s going to be a real asset,” Jones said.
    “So many factors determine economic conditions and the choosing of locations, and we are very proud to have Walgreens,” David Thornell, president of the Greater Starkville Development Partnership, said.
    Thornell said the new business would be a “great addition to the retail base of Starkville.”
    Growth of the business industry will progress as the new bypass in west Starkville opens in the next few years.
    “Success paves the way for others, and we look forward to everything,” Thornell said.
    Thornell also said a new shopping center across from Wal-Mart is under construction and will be a promising place for retailers to open businesses. Thornell said he is making plans to shop at Walgreens as soon as it opens.