MSU tackles Flu Season

With the onset of fall, students throughout the nation succumb to a variety of cold viruses and bronchial infections. The students of Mississippi State University, are no different. However, to stave off the symptoms, students might want to consider going by one of the Starkville area flu clinics to help eliminate the symptoms. “I think that flu shots can be a good thing, but I’m not going to get one myself though,” Matt Beall, sophomore, said. “Because I exercise, eat well, and rest enough, I generally think that I’m pretty much taken care of.”
    Other students are doubtful of the vaccines’ effectiveness, period.
    “There’s no way that I’m ever going to get another flu shot. I’ve only had the flu once, and that was right after I received my first flu shot,” senior Sarah Holter said.
    According to Ella Frese, the Nurse Administrator for the MSU Health Clinic, Holter was among the marginal 10-20 percent that will contract the virus after receiving a vaccination. According to Frese, the vaccination is about 80 – 90 percent effective in stopping the virus from being contracted. Although outbreaks of the flu virus usually do not occur until January, getting a flu shot can be very beneficial to students.
    “One of the primary benefits to students receiving the vaccination is that it reduces the number of cold viruses the student may contract and it can also lessen the symptoms of colds that the students may become infected with,” Frese said.
    According to Frese, the vaccine takes about two weeks to become fully effective. Frese suggested that Mississippi State students take advantage of the clinics provided to students by the Health Center. Not only are vaccinations about $8 cheaper at these clinics, but students also won’t have to wait as long for their shots as well.
    Although living a healthy lifestyle may make it more difficult to contract the flu virus, it is not a prevention method in and of itself.
    In order to make the possibility of contracting the virus as small as possible, students should take the time to visit the clinics that the health center has set up.
    The clinic will be open at the Student Union from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. on Oct.17-18. The traveling clinic will be open on October 30 and Nov. 1.