Co-op, internships available to students

Many college students wonder exactly what they will do after graduation. Through the cooperative education program and various internships, students are able to obtain on-the-job experience needed to acquire a dream job. Co-oping is “a unique education program by which students obtain an academic education and at the same time obtain a minimum of one year of vitally needed practical experience in their chosen field of study,” according to the MSU co-op Web site.
    Any student (undergraduate through doctorate) that has completed one year at Mississippi State University with a GPA of 2.5 or higher can apply for a co-op.
    MSU’s co-op program is the second largest in the South and has opportunities for every major. Currently, MSU has 831 students involved in the co-op program, with 86 in agriculture and life sciences, five in arts and sciences, 186 in business, 12 in education, 496 in engineering, 15 in forestry, 24 in architecture and seven graduate positions.
    A co-op work period lasts for one semester or for the summer. A student is required to complete three of these work periods, which amounts to 52 weeks of work.
    Not only are these jobs paid, but they also give students “practical experience in their field of choice, which is usually directly related to their major,” said Mike Matthews, associate director of MSU cooperative education.
    The jobs that co-op currently provides are located in 37 different states and two foreign countries, with around half of the jobs outside of Mississippi.
    The co-op experience increases chances of obtaining a job after graduation since the program usually places students with technical corporations, and experience is one of the major ways companies choose permanent employees, according to Matthews.
    Students can apply for the co-op program in Walker Engineering Building in Room 222 on Wednesdays at 3 p.m. or Thursdays at 3:30 p.m.
    Students may also visit www.coop.msstate.edu to fill out an application. Interviews will be scheduled after applications are completed.
    “I have gained a great deal of knowledge about what life is actually like for an engineer after leaving college,” co-op electrical engineering senior Cameron Brown said. “I have been surrounded by some of the best people in the industry and this has helped me have a better outlook on the opportunities available to me in the future. My time spent here will elevate my desire to learn as much as I can when I return to classes.”
    Another way for students to increase their chances of employment after graduation and to gain work experience is through internships. Internships are similar to co-op jobs because they give students the work experience needed, and allow them to remain full-time students at MSU.
    The internship program does not have specific credentials for all students, but each company sets standards for employment.
    “Most of the internships are exposure jobs, and organizations who employ students are looking for students who will make a contribution,”said Luther Epting, director of the Career Center.
    Most of these internships are not local, but a majority of them are located in the Southeastern United States. Internships are available in the summer and during the school year, however there is more competition for summer internships.
    “Students who have interest should explore internships six months in advance,” Epting said.
    Information about internships is available through the Career Center or online at www.career.msstate.edu.