Students rest, work for holiday season

As the last week of school approaches and the spirit of Christmas echoes around Mississippi State University’s campus, students prepare for the Christmas break and holiday activities. Most students look forward to going home for the holidays and spending time with their families. Some will visit old high school friends; some will travel to see boyfriends and girlfriends, and some will stay in the comfort of their houses.
    “I’m looking forward to being at home with my family for the long break,” Josh Ireland, a freshman from Clinton, said. “I can’t wait to watch a lot of football, eat a lot of food and talk to a lot of women.”
    Some students are going out of the state to visit family. Sophomore Marcus Smith said he plans to head to Houston, Texas, to visit friends before going home to Chattanooga, Tenn. Smith said he will wait tables at a restaurant called Sticky Fingers over the holiday.
    Freshman Tricia Hopper said she plans to work at Campus Book Mart during the holiday break.
    “I’m also going to Wisconsin for Christmas to visit my grandmother who is turning 102 on Christmas day,” Hopper said.
    Junior Matt Bonifay from Jackson said he plans to visit his girlfriend in North Carolina during his time off.
    Other students are staying in the Deep South for Christmas.
    “I can’t wait to be home with my entire family and visit friends in Batesville,” senior Kate Florence said. “I also can’t wait for the break from school.”
    “I’m going home to work at Victoria’s Secret in Jackson,” sophomore Brandi Vaughan said. “Both sides of the family will be in Jackson, and I can’t wait to visit them.”
    A few students like Erin McGee from Columbus only have a few miles to drive to get home.
    “I’m just going to chill at my house and be with my family the entire break,” McGee said.
    While most students don’t have Christmas plans other than going home, they do have some sort of idea of what they are doing for New Year’s Eve.
    Hopper, who is from Starkville, said she is excited about going to Las Vegas with her boyfriend for New Year’s. “We’re going to see all the shows and all the bright lights of a spectacular city, besides Starkville,” Hopper said.
    “I intend on going to New Orleans with my girlfriend and friends and partying till dawn,” sophomore Greg Mason from Biloxi said.
    Many MSU students, like Avery Carlisle from Madison, plan to go to Memphis for a big New Year’s bash.
    “I’m driving to Memphis for New Year’s Eve with all of my best friends from high school and having an awesome night out on the town,” Carlisle said.
    Whatever MSU students may plan for the Christmas break, most are looking forward to spending time with their families to celebrate the new year and then are heading back to school to get ready for the spring semester.