Rodeo champions come to Starkville horse park

One hundred twenty of the Southeast’s top athletes from the United States Cowboy Tour will be in Starkville at the Mississippi Horse Park and AgriCenter for the second annual United States Cowboy Tour 2001 Finals Championship Rodeo. The event, sponsored by Maxwell House Coffee, lasts today through Monday and will bring together the winners of over 30 rodeos across nine southeastern states for the championships.
    This is the first year that Starkville will get to host this tour.
    “You don’t normally get to see things like this in your hometown; you usually have to travel to see a rodeo of this caliber,” Bricklee Miller, AgriCenter promotions assistant, said.
    The athletes will compete in professional rodeo’s seven standard events–bareback riding, bull riding, calf roping, steer wrestling, team roping, breakaway roping and cowgirls’ barrel racing.
    Rodeo stars that have won at National Finals Rodeo will be at the event.
    “I’m really excited that the rodeo is coming to State,” MSU student Dennis Jones said. “Everybody should make it out to one of the events and see all of the action that’s going to be happening.”
    These cowboys and cowgirls will be competing for over $140,000 in cash and prizes.
    “There is a grand champion in each event, winning money, jackets, buckles and saddles,” Miller said.
    There will also be an all-around cowboy competition, which applies to those competing in more than one event.
    “The USCT is proud to bring an event of this magnitude to Starkville’s Mississippi Horse Park,” United States Cowboy Tour President Gordon Whitener said.
    There are also many other activities planned around the rodeo. Friday night is family night at the rodeo, with a chance for children to go down to the arena floor and meet the cowboys and cowgirls.
    The children can also try some of the actual rodeo events from 6:30-7:30 p.m. The “World’s Tallest Cowboy,” Rockin’ Robbie the clown, will make an appearance for the kids.
    The AgriCenter is preparing for big crowds for the rodeo.
    “We are tickled to death to have the rodeo move to Mississippi this year, and we really want the community to support the event,” Miller said. Family night on Friday begins at 6:30, with the actual rodeo opening at 8.
    Saturday’s events begin at 7 p.m., and The Honky Tonk Tailgate Party beginning at 9:30 p.m.
    The crowning of the champions on Sunday begins at 3 p.m.
    The best bargain is to get a three-day pass for $40, but, an adult ticket for Friday’s family night is $10 with the purchase of a children’s (ages 6-12) ticket for $5.
    Tickets for the rodeo and the concert on Saturday are $25, and tickets for adults on Sunday are $15 and $10 for children.
    A portion of the proceeds goes toward the Children with Diabetes Foundation.
    Tickets can be purchased from the Oktibbeha County Co-Op, Mossy Oak Outdoor Outlet, the Mississippi Horse Park, the Starkville Visitors and Convention Bureau and Cummulus Broadcasting. For more information, contact 325-0508.