BREAKING: South Mississippi supplies run short as Gustav nears Mississippi.

Stores and gas stations in South Mississippi are experiencing shortages and runs on emergency supplies as tropical storm Gustav enters the Gulf of Mexico. Tropical storm Gustav is currently expected to make landfall as a hurricane on or near the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
    The Wal-Mart store in Biloxi currently has a shortage of emergency items such as gas containers and bottled water. Wal-Mart store manager Bob Bennett says that customers are taking no chances in being prepared for the possible hurricane.
    “Honestly, customers were excited and buying up supplies for [tropical storm Fay], but people are definitely stocking up for [tropical storm Gustav],” Bennett said. “We are in contact with our emergency supply warehouse and I’ve got trailers full of water coming. It’s been rough, people have been buying up everything.”
    Gas stations on the Coast, near main traffic arteries U.S. Interstate 10 and Miss. Highway 49, have been experiencing increased customer loads along with more customers filling up spare gas cans.
    Further inland, Wal-Mart stores in Hattiesburg are experiencing a run on emergency supplies similar to the Gulf Coast.
    Wanda Smith, a sales associate at Wal-Mart on Miss. Highway 98 in Hattiesburg, said the store is running low on emergency supplies.
    “I know the water and canned drinks are about gone. They [Wal-Mart employees] have been steadily re-stocking the floor with items, but they’re getting low,” Smith said. “A truck is supposed to come either tonight or tomorrow with more supplies.”
    Meanwhile, the Mississippi Emergency Operations Center is up and running in preparation for the possible hurricane. Emergency officials are currently expecting Gov. Haley Barbour to issue a state of emergency declaration this afternoon.
    The Reflector will have more details as information becomes available.