Neo-cons fail at economic fundamentals

As a libertarian conservative, it pains me to say this, but Barrack Obama’s economics might make more sense than John McCain’s. I will be the first to admit that, at this stage in my life, I am by no means an economic expert. However, that is what college, this newspaper and the criticism that go along with them help to cultivate.
    The connotation (and paradox) is that, following the principles of big government, Democrats raise taxes, and Republicans, seeking to reduce the size of government, lower taxes. In short, this is generally true, but it does not tell the whole story. Take for example the two main presidential candidates, Obama and McCain.
    McCain’s plan rests on (big surprise here) lowering taxes, eliminating the Alternative Minimum Tax and a vague but strong promise to eliminate wasteful pork barrel spending. Obama, on the other hand, wants to raise taxes, pull our troops out of Iraq and provide more benefits, as usual. Most of this information can be found on the candidates’ Web sites and in very informative articles on The New York Times’ Web site.
    On the surface, it appears McCain will be the more market-oriented conservative, but that is not necessarily the case. As Republicans have been doing lately, he will continue to regulate the economy, rescue failed businesses and maintain major spending programs (such as all our overseas military commitments). Obama, on the other hand, will pull some financial drains while creating others, such as a socialized health care system, but will have the money to do it with.
    Modern Republicans have failed to realize that if you decrease the size of the budget you have to decrease expenses. It’s a simple enough principle not to buy something if you don’t have the money for it. You see, personally, I believe in conservative principles such as small taxes and small government, but I can’t trust most modern Republicans to implement those principles well.
    I consider Obama’s policies to be unfair and immoral, but at the same time, it is the only thing that is nearly responsible or will work right now. If I have worked harder all my life to make more than the average Joe, it is not fair for me to be taxed at a much higher rate than Joe.
    Although I do not want to vote for McCain or Obama, I sometimes wonder whether I should vote for Obama because sometimes you have to bring yourself down in order to bring yourself back up. To quote “The Dark Knight” movie, “The night is darkest before the dawn.” However, I do not entertain the thought for very long because I have too many disagreements with Obama.
    You may ask, “If we have the money, why not spend it on well-intentioned programs like socialized health care?” Well, that is a topic for another article and your opinion to form. All I have to say for now is that I agree with McCain. We can’t earmark money to every congressman’s little pet project no matter how benevolent it seems.
    Whatever your views, however, I have more respect for them if they are consistent and realistic.
    Lazarus Austin is a senior majoring in history. He can be contacted at [email protected].