Runners win on home turf

After a rainy morning that led to messy course conditions, the Mississippi State cross country teams dominated the MSU Invitational Saturday.
    The men’s and women’s teams overcame the weather to walk away with top honors at the 2008 Mississippi State Pre-SEC Invitational.
    Senior Robert Scribner set course records as he led his fellow teammates in the invitational.
    In the 8k race, Scribner finished with a time of 24 minutes, breaking a 2003 record set by Chris Boldt, who had a time of 25:39.
    “It was really exciting,” Scribner said. “Just the day before it rained a little over 3 inches, and the course was in bad condition, so it was great to run through all of the mud like that. I defiantly exceeded my expectations.”
    Adam Lenz took fourth place with a finishing time of 25:17.23, and Jonathon Rono took sixth place with a time of 25:38.82.
    “Rono has been training and running through an Achilles injury, so what he is doing is very admirable,” Scribner said. “He is finishing out the season because we really need him, and I am very proud of him and his achievements so far.”
    Crossing the line with a time of 25:59.12 and taking eighth place was Cameron Vincent, while Daniel Simpkins finished with a time of 26:09.79, taking 10th place.
    Scribner finished first two weeks ago at the Sewanee Invitational.
    “I hope Scribner has a magical senior year because he really deserves it,” coach Al Schmidt said.
    With five runners finishing in the top 10, the men’s team won the meet with a total of 29 points. As for SEC competitors LSU and Ole Miss, they finished second and third in the invitational.
    “Everyone is running awesome,” Scribner said. “Every one of these guys is starting to run really well, and its happened right when we really needed it. Our overall goal is to make it to nationals, and now I think we are just one step closer.”
    In the 5k race for the women, freshman Renee Masterson achieved her first collegiate first-place finish with a time of 18:35.08.
    “I am really excited because I had no intentions of taking first place,” Masterson said. “My intentions were to finish in the top five. It is very encouraging when you have so many spectators pulling for you.”
    Simone Dominque came in third place with a time of 19:00.52, followed by teammate Dominique Lockhart, who took fourth place with a time of 19:10.89. Coming in the top 10 was Sarah Hammes, taking eighth place with a time of 19:43.80. Loren Bruce came in 10th place with a finishing time of 19:59.34.
    With a total of 26 points, the Lady Bulldogs won the meet over Big 10 opponent Northwester and SEC teams Ole Miss and LSU.
    “I’m very happy with our team and how they ran today,” men’s coach Steve Dudley said. “I think all of our guys ran well today. It definitely lets us know where we are and what we can improve upon. With Notre Dame next week we can start getting points that will qualify us for nationals.”
    “I am very proud of our Lady Bulldogs,” Masterson said. “We not only beat two SEC teams, but we also beat a Big 10 team. MSU is going to be a threat.”
    For both the men’s and women’s cross country team, the MSU Invitational made their second straight win for this season.
    “We ran as a team,” Schmidt said. “Northwestern is tough. I love beating Ole Miss and LSU, but it’s really good beating a Big 10 team. I’m really proud of our girls. It’s a great day, especially when you beat SEC schools.”
    The Mississippi State cross-country teams will be back in action on Oct. 3 at the Notre Dame Invitational in South Bend, Ind.