Music Makers lures Tea Leaf Green to MSU Amphitheater

A night of free music is being offered to Mississippi State students tonight at the MSU Amphitheater.
    National touring act Tea Leaf Green and local talent Come On, Go With Us will be taking the stage to provide the MSU student body with complimentary tunes, courtesy of the student organization Music Maker Productions.
    “We’ve all talked about doing something for back-to-school,” Music Makers student director Madison Gartman said. “It’s definitely going to be a good time.”
    According to its Myspace page, Tea Leaf Green specializes in “taking classic sounds and giving them a present day polish.” The San Francisco-based act has been active for a decade, playing festivals like Bonnaroo and Wakarusa and sharing the stage with acts like Dave Matthews Band and Gov’t Mule.
    The band recently released its fifth studio album, Raise Up the Tent.
    “They have this psychedelic jam band sound,” publicity co-chair for Music Makers Productions Philip Vanderleest said. “Like most jam bands, it’s all about the live sets that they do. It’s all free style. It’s all just great musicianship.”
    Despite the connotations of the term “jam band,” Gartman said Tea Leaf Green has a unique style that is solely its own.
    “I wouldn’t compare them to [Widespread] Panic or anything,” she said. “They’re groovy. They have the same agency as Yonder Mountain String Band. That’s kind of who they tour around with.”
    In fact, Gartman was attempting to book Yonder Mountain String Band when its agency let her know that Tea Leaf Green was available. Tonight Tea Leaf Green will stop by Starkville between shows in Nashville, Tenn., and Athens, Ga.
    “They’re trying to play every show,” Vanderleest said. “They’re promoting [their recent album].”
    Opening for Tea Leaf Green will be local act Come On, Go With Us, which offers a blend of country and folk the band describes as decidedly Southern.
    “It started out as a more folk and bluegrassy kind of country sound,” Come On, Go With Us guitarist and vocalist Jacob Simpson said. “Now it’s more refined. I guess it’s kind of folk rock, but it’s definitely Southern.”
    Come On, Go With Us, recently opened for Blind Melon at Rick’s Café.
    Simpson said he hopes this, coupled with the fact that the show is free, will draw a lot of students out.
    “We all go to school at State, so show some support for a home band,” he said. “It’s a free show, so it may be a chance for a lot of people who couldn’t see us before, because of covers, to make it out. I think it’s going to be a fun time.”
    Gartman believes the style of Come On, Go With Us will suit the environment.
    “The banjos are going to be playing,” she said. “I think it’s going to set the Amphitheater well.”
    Music Maker Productions encourages people to come early and enjoy a laid-back setting much different from a rowdy bar atmosphere.
    “When you think of the Amphitheater, you think of sitting out there all day with blankets, hanging out and throwing a Frisbee,” Gartman said. “That will definitely set the mood. The only thing is you’re going to have to bring your own food. We’re not going to have any concessions. Bring your food and your drinks and have a good time.”
    Come On, Go With Us will open the concert at 6:30 p.m., and headliner Tea Leaf Green, takes the stage at 8 p.m.
    “If it rains, we’re going to play in it,” Gartman said.
    Music Maker Productions is looking forward to a great semester, and while they can’t reveal what’s coming next, they promise it’s something big.
    “We’re really hoping this one band comes through,” Gartman said. “They haven’t said yes yet. It’s not finalized. You would have heard of them for sure. Your mother would have heard of them.”
    Junior biology major Justin Coulter praised Music Makers for its efforts to bring bigger, more popular performers to venues on the MSU campus.
    “I think it’s cool they have the ability to get some great music to State for free,” he said. “I’m really eager to see what other treats they have in store for campus.”