Watson announces resignation, retirement

In the latest chapter of the landscaping scandal involving Institutions of Higher Learning Commissioner Tom Meredith and Interim Mississippi State University President Vance Watson, the IHL accepted the resignation and subsequent retirement of Watson Monday. Watson decided that resigning as interim president would be prudent in the wake of the scandal.
    “In light of the recent landscaping controversy that has arisen, I have decided that it is in the best interest of Mississippi State University and myself if I resign from my position as interim president of Mississippi State University and retire,” Watson said in a press release Monday.
    According to IHL Board of Trustees President Amy Whitten, Watson’s resignation was voluntary and was not suggested or asked for by the IHL.
    Watson’s resignation comes after he was forced to reimburse the university $12,333 for authorizing landscaping work that was done at Meredith’s home. In his statement Watson was quick to point out that the matter was a civil claim and not a criminal one.
    Watson neither answered nor returned phone calls.
    The IHL promptly selected former vice president for student affairs Roy Ruby to serve as interim president until the conclusion of the MSU presidential search, or when a new president assumes command. The IHL is expected to announce a preferred candidate by Nov. 1.
    Ruby, a 40-year veteran of MSU, has been retired since 2004, but said he is appreciative of the selection.
    “I’m honored. I’ve worked for MSU for 40 years. MSU’s been my life, I’m honored if I can help,” Ruby said.
    Ruby was approached by IHL board for the interim position.
    Whitten said the selection of Ruby as interim president was an obvious choice.
    “Dr. Ruby was a natural choice. The selection of Dr. Ruby wasn’t the product of any formal process. There wasn’t any other name on the list we felt,” Whitten said.
    MSU Student Association President Braxton Coombs said that although the events are unfortunate for the university he is thankful for Watson’s service and is ready to move forward from the debacle.
    Watson will officially retire from MSU Oct. 31 although his resignation is effective immediately; he will be available to assist the new interim president transition to the president’s office.
    Still, this does not mark the end of the road for Watson or Meredith
    Despite Meredith declaring himself exonerated by the state auditor Thursday, the auditor’s report was turned over to Oktibbeha County District Attorney, State Ethics Commission and the Federal Office of the Inspector General for further investigation. Both could still face charges from any of the above entities if further wrongdoing is uncovered.
    Rep. Stephen Holland, D-Lee, said Meredith should not be considered exonerated since he received the goods from Watson.
    “How can a human being doing all the receiving be exonerated, and exonerated by whom? Why didn’t he report this to the board he works for?” Holland said.
    As for the status of the MSU presidential search, Whitten said that the board will meet Friday to discuss the status of the search.
    Whitten would not comment as to whether the presidential search committee would meet its self-imposed Nov. 1 deadline.
    Whitten further declined to comment as to whether the state College Board would open the remainder of the MSU presidential search in the face of an MSU Faculty Senate resolution calling for the search to be public.
    Facing the prospect of a third president in less than one year at MSU, junior English major Molly Hartzog said MSU needs someone who is going to get in the president’s office permanently.
    “There definitely needs to be someone getting there and staying with it. It’s just like a job; as you stay in it, you get more familiar and better at it. You need to have a person that’s familiar with the school get in,” Hartzog said.