MSU holds listening day for state senator

Top Mississippi State University officials and guests held a closed-door listening session Monday with Sen. Doug Davis, R-Hernando, to address questions and concerns about a potential legislation that would change the governing structure of the Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning.
    The proposed legislation would give each public university its own seven-member board of trustees charged with managing university affairs, while the current 12-member IHL College Board would be converted to a board of governors.
    The board of trustees would be composed of four selections by the governor and three members selected by the board of governors. All seven members must be affirmed by the state Senate.
    If the legislation is enacted, the university’s Faculty Senate and student body presidents, who would serve as non-voting members, would also join the board of trustees.
    The revised board of governors would oversee budget issues and work as a liaison between the state legislature and other universities.
    Davis said the proposed legislation would allow more direct control during important decisions, such as presidential searches.
    “There are certain times when all eight universities should speak as one, such as garnering support for funding,” he said. “There are also certain times when the universities should address their own opportunities – the MSU presidential search, for example.”
    Twelve of the 16 universities under the Southern Regional Educational Board operate under a decentralized system as Davis’ legislation would enact. Currently Maryland, Tennessee, Georgia and Mississippi operate with a centralized IHL system.
    Marty Wiseman, director of the Stennis Institute of Government, said flare-ups between in-state universities in SREB states with a decentralized higher learning system are less of a common occurrence.
    “I’ve talked to some folks from Auburn and asked what it would be like if Auburn and [the University of] Alabama were governed by the same board,” he said. “Some say there would be blood on the table, regardless of the good intentions of the policy makers.”
    Wiseman said although he is not yet in favor of the bill, ample public concern over the current IHL system warrants reform discussion.
    “I’m for having a thorough discussion with research and terms laid out on the table,” he said.
    MSU Interim President Vance Watson said while he enjoyed a chance to sit down and discuss the legislation with Davis and university constituents, he is not in favor of reforming the current structure of the IHL.
    “Davis had a chance to come see us [MSU], see what we do here and how we’re engaged as a university,” he said.
    Last month, Watson and other Mississippi university presidents traveled to Jackson, testifying in favor of the current College Board system.
    Davis said he did not expect any of the college presidents to speak out against the current IHL setup.
    “I don’t anticipate any of them to take a position contrary to their employer,” he said. “I’ve heard from alumni and others who do support the IHL system, but as for employees taking a different position, I do not expect that to happen.”
    Jimmy Abraham, executive director of alumni activities, was present for the closed-door meeting. He said is not in favor of Davis’ proposal.
    “We need to let our presidents lead our institutions,” he said. “This proposal could hinder that because of an additional layer of reporting.”