Kitchen Blues tackles Tavern

The Kitchen Blues Band will perform at Dave’s Dark Horse Tavern tonight as part of Oktoberfest. A veteran performer at the Tavern, the Kitchen Blues Band is Starkville favorite.
    “Every time they perform, there’s a pretty good crowd; they pack it out. Not only here but at other places around town too,” said Tavern owner, Dave Hood.
    The band was started by Hunter Lawler, of Hattiesburg, and Garland Burton, of Greenville. The two met as co-workers in the kitchen of Mugshots Bar & Grill. It was there the idea of starting the aptly -named Kitchen Blues Band was born.
    “We heard that Whiskey Blues was about to open up and wanted a blues band once a week and the owner asked if we were interested,” Lawler said.
    Performing at Whiskey Blues gave the duo the exposure and the fan base it needed and with popularity it began to play in other local venues.
    “They are a good local [attraction for] the customers,” Hood said. “They are a good band to have on Friday night. Last year they played Super Bulldog Weekend and it was packed.”
    With Burton playing lead guitar and Lawler on bass, the two needed a drummer. A local friend, Christopher Polk, of Indianola, became the final member. Jamison Hollister of Mayhem String Band makes guest appearances with the band on keyboard, slide guitar and fiddle.
    The band plays other genres of music besides blues. They cover music greats such as Al Green, The Who and The Doors.
    “We play Southern rock, or jazz influenced rock, more like instrumental jams. We play music that you can have good time listening to,” Polk said.
    Being that the band originated in Starkville, it primarily is seen playing around the Starkville area.
    In the two years the band has been together, it has traveled to Mobile, Tuscaloosa and many other places around Mississippi at music festivals, bars and parties.
    “I enjoy playing for college students the most. They seem to be the most enthusiastic crowd,” Polk said.
    Hood learned about the band from hearing it play acoustic sets before it performed.
    “The employees are big fans of the band and they asked for them to come and perform,” Hood said.
    Junior communications major Meredith Pittman transferred to MSU and soon became friends with Garland. She said she began going to their shows and has become a huge fan.
    “I really like their music. It’s like a mix between easy listening, rock and a hard-hitting blues band. You can talk to your friends, have drinks and the music in the background isn’t too loud and overwhelming. It’s great,” Pittman said.
    Oktoberfest is a celebration to bring in the fall season. It was originated as a two-week festival held each year in Munich, Germany during late September and early October.
    Approximately six million people go to the festival each year. People in the United States celebrate a version of Oktoberfest across the country, the largest event is in Cincinnati, Ohio.
    “This is Starkville’s first Oktoberfest, and we plan on making it an annual event,” Hood said. “We’ll be having specials all night on a variety of beer and other beverages, and we’ve added a couple new brews on tap including Samuel Adam’s Oktoberfest. The entertainment lasts from 6 p.m. until 1 a.m. with a $5 cover after 8:30.”
    Kitchen Blues will close out the Oktoberfest celebration at Dave’s. Hood said he plans for next year’s Oktoberfest to be a weekend long event, not just on Friday night.