Hospital eyes changes through bond

On Election Day this year, citizens in Oktibbeha County will vote on a bond issue to raise property taxes and fund renovations for the Oktibbeha County Hospital.
    OCH submitted a proposal to the county Board of Supervisors who approved the request to add the $27.5 million tax bond referendum on the Nov. 4 ballot.
    If passed, the bond issue would increase taxes for all county property owners by 8.4 mills.
    OCH director of marketing Melody Thurlow said the bond issue would fund much needed improvements in the original 1973 building and enlarge the obstetrical care unit.
    “We need the county citizens’ help to move forward with this project and build a better health care facility that is up to date with current times,” Thurlow said. “Our rooms in the old building are just too small to handle all the medical equipment that is required to provide adequate care to our patients.”
    Thurlow said the new plans include increasing the original patient rooms from about 100 square feet to about 150 square feet, enlarging and renovating the existing OB unit to include seven new birthing suites, new observation rooms, a state-of-the-art C-section suite and a newborn nursery with viewing area.
    “Along with the renovations of the original 1973 building, OCH will be constructing a new tower to replace rooms that were lost due to enlargement, which will maintain our existing 96 beds and we will be constructing a parking deck to make up for spaces lost.” Thurlow said.
    In these hard economic times, citizens are voicing mixed feelings about the bond issue.
    Orlando K. Trainer, District 2 county supervisor, said he voted against putting the bond on the ballot and believes the board of supervisors should look at alternative options for this plan.
    “I am not against the renovations of the hospital facilities,” Trainer said. “Instead of a property tax bond on the citizens, I believe the hospital should do what they have done in the past and issue a revenue bond. The citizens of this county are already paying enough on taxes as it is right now.”
    Dr. Fenton Peters, member of OCH board of trustees, said the hospital has already funded $77 million over the past 25 years on expansions and renovations to OCH.
    “We have come to a point where we just cannot extend our debt anymore and need the community’s support to bring these two units up to standards,” Peters said. “This project is only going to improve the outlook of Oktibbeha County, including bringing in a more diversified medical staff, better quality medical care to patients and ultimately allow us to give back to the community.”
    Peters said the hospital has remained financially sound since 1982 thanks to wise management within OCH administration, and he understands the financial grip affecting many citizens right now.
    “These improvements will ensure that OCH remains fiscally sound for years to come and will allow our children and grandchildren to have access to a state-of-the-art facility,” Peters said. “The good thing about this bond is that it will only apply to those people who own property and for most of those people the cost will be about as much as one fast food meal per month.”
    For the property tax referendum to pass, 60 percent of the votes on Nov. 4 must be in favor of the bond.