Kicking game sinks Bulldogs

Mississippi State (3-6, 1-4 SEC) couldn’t overcome a disastrous third quarter on Saturday and fell to the University of Kentucky (6-3, 2-3) by a single point, 14-13.
    State opened the scoring on its second drive of the game, covering 78 yards on nine plays and finishing with a 29-yard touchdown strike by starting quarterback Tyson Lee to junior wide receiver Brandon McRae.
    The rest of the half was a defensive struggle, netting only a missed field goal attempt from 34 yards by UK kicker Lones Seiber.
    The third quarter would prove to be State’s downfall, as it opened with 14 straight points by Kentucky.
    UK running back Tony Dixon returned the second-half kickoff 42 yards, setting up a 53-yard touchdown drive. Wildcat wide receiver Randall Cobb rushed in from the quarterback position for five yards and the touchdown. MSU head coach Sylvester Croom said Kentucky was able to run the ball effectively, resulting in the touchdown.
    “[Kentucky] just decided they were going to run right at us on that drive and that is what is disappointing,” Croom said.
    Kentucky’s next drive proved to be crucial, as the Wildcats scored the game-winning touchdown on a 3-yard Cobb pass to wide-open UK tight end Maurice Grinter.
    That drive was helped along by a critical pass interference call against senior defensive back Derek Pegues on third down.
    “I felt like it was a ticky-tack call,” Pegues said. “They did the same thing on our guys a couple of times and they didn’t get the call.”
    Croom called the official’s call debatable, as well as tough to overcome.
    “I thought the ball was uncatchable,” Croom said. “I’m not disputing the call, I just have a different opinion.”
    State was again forced to punt on its next drive. At that point, things looked pretty grim for the Dawgs.
    Senior defensive lineman Cortez McCraney said he knew his team needed someone to make a play. “Coach [David Turner] told us we needed someone to step up and make a play,” McCraney said. “When I went back out there I said I was about to make the play.”
    That’s exactly what he did, forcing and recovering a fumble on Kentucky’s first play of the drive. That provided a spark for the Bulldogs, who drove 31 yards in four plays for the touchdown. The extra point, however, was no good, and that point proved to be the difference in the game.
    Another big play by a Bulldog senior set up an opportunity when Dominic Douglas intercepted a Cobb pass. The Bulldogs marched to the UK four yard-line before being senior Adam Carlson was forced to try a 27-yard field goal for the lead.
    The effort bounced off the left upright and no good. That proved to be State’s last real threat and UK held on to win.