Student athlete charged with rape

Junior tennis player Christopher Doerr is seen playing tennis during the 2008 spring semester.

A Mississippi State University tennis player was arrested Monday and charged with rape in connection with an incident involving a 20-year-old female at a weekend party at his apartment.
    Junior communication major Christopher Doerr, 20, of London, England, was released Tuesday on a $50,500 bond.
    Oktibbeha County Chief Deputy George Carrithers said the incident took place some time Saturday night or early Sunday morning at Campus Trails Apartments.
    “His bond was $50,000 for the rape charge and $500 for giving alcohol to a minor,” he said. “He made bond about noon today [Tuesday].”
    Carrithers said the Oktibbeha County Hospital notified the police about an alleged sexual assault over the weekend.
    The Oktibbeha County Sheriff’s Department will not release information about the victim.
    According to state law, a person found guilty of rape can face up to life in prison.
    Doerr also faces a university disciplinary hearing to determine his immediate fate as a student.
    Vice president for student affairs Bill Kibler said typically students involved in the disciplinary process remain students at MSU and are encouraged to go to class until the disciplinary process is completed.
    “The conclusion of the disciplinary process will determine if his status as a student changes at all,” he said. “I think that it will be completed within the week.”
    According to the university’s sexual assault policy, if found guilty, Doerr could face a minimum of suspension for one year to a maximum of permanent expulsion.
    Senior communication major and Reflector columnist Bailey Singletary said she met Doerr last semester and dated the tennis player.
    “The whole accusation shocked me,” she said. “I never saw that side of him, ever.”
    Singletary said she would never suspect Doerr to be involved with these types of allegations.
    “Even while we were dating, he never pressured me to do anything,” she said. “I would hang out with him and all the tennis players and they were really nice.”
    Junior communication major Natalie Bullard said she is a part of Matchmates, a group that helps keep the score for the tennis team during matches.
    “We also help the international players get familiar with the South because some of them aren’t as fluent in English,” she said.
    Bullard said she never got the chance to meet Doerr.
    “I hate for something like this to happen to the team,” she said.
    Mike Nemeth, senior associate athletic media director, said no official comment could be provided at this time due to the on-going investigation.