Celebrating Africa

Exotic drums and chants filled the Colvard Student Union Ballroom as guests took in the sights and sounds of the African Student Association’s presentation of African Night on Sunday.More than 200 guests were on hand for the presentation of African culture and heritage. Additional space had to be created during the course of the night to accommodate the overflow of guests.
    The night’s keynote speaker, Togbui Bakata, the king of a local traditional province in Ghana, discussed the dynamics of his role as a leader in a country with a modern government.
    “The duties of king are similar to that of a mayor, but a mayor does not have as much power as I do,” Bakata said. “I also work as a liaison between my people and the central government.”
    Bakata assumed power after the death of his younger brother.
    He said he took on the responsibility in order to preserve his family’s past work.
    “I had always thought that he was going to rule,” he said, “but after his death, I had to make a quick decision. A lot of people run away from responsibility, but I couldn’t.”
    Bakata, who is more commonly known in Mississippi as David Addae, received his doctorate in manufacturing engineering from West Virginia University and teaches manufacturing technology at Alcorn State University.
    He has written several articles on the progress of Ghana and other developing African countries.
    African music was played for most of the night as a group of various musicians entertained the audience.
    World-renowned musician Bernard Woma displayed his mastery of the gyil, an instrument comparable to a xylophone, while performing traditional Dagara songs.
    Other performances of the night included a drumline composed of some of the members of the ASA and songs by the MSU Black Voices.
    In his speech, MSU vice president for student affairs Bill Kibler said events like African Night are important for the growth of MSU.
    “As we build connections on the continent of Africa,” Kibler said, “it is my hope that we have more students from that part of the world who will come to MSU to learn. The activities this evening will not come to an end but will be a beginning.”
    Kibler said he is hopeful that the African Night program will grow into a cherished tradition.
    ASA President Vitalis Temu, a graduate student studying agricultural sciences, said the program is a step toward showing people the real Africa.
    “Television sometimes has other motives when it comes to what it presents,” Temu said. “Tonight was an opportunity for people to see things how they really [are] straight from the African people.”
    Sule Alli, an MSU graduate and the master of ceremonies for the night, said the event was a huge success.
    “Tonight was fantastic,” she said. “We had great speakers and a very positive turnout.”
    Alli hopes the program helped to show the audience that Africa is filled with diversity like other countries.
    “Many people have misconceptions of the continent as a whole,” she said. “It is not as monolithic as many people think.