Under the Big Top

People of all ages converged at the Mississippi Horse Park Wednesday for the Carson and Barnes Family Circus. Sunny, pristine weather provided a perfect setting as children jovially ran around the fairground, holding cotton candy in one hand and souvenirs in the other. Families arrived in Starkville from all over the state to watch the show and enjoy an assortment of activities. Attendees experienced exotic animals, such as llamas and zebras, up close at a petting zoo. Elephant and camel rides were also available.
    The eager audience flooded into the tent for the first show, many sporting inflated toys and glowing microphones. An enthusiastic clown known as Papa D Clown welcomed everyone walking through the door.
    The clown said when he joined the circus two years ago he received the “D” in his name for being the oldest person on the show.
    The former teacher got his start as a rodeo clown bullfighter and performed as a special guest with the circus many times. When not performing, he home schools the children in the traveling circus who cannot go to school every day.
    The lights went off and the crowd quieted as the ringleader enthusiastically welcomed all to the show.
    The show featured acrobats wearing vibrant clothes, swinging from ropes high in the air and, later on, riding motorcycles on a tightrope.
    Starkville Mayor Dan Camp surprised the audience by riding in on an elephant during the first show.
    Camp said the city is very supportive of the horse park and he is excited the circus asked him to participate in the show.
    Mississippi Horse Park facility manager Bricklee Miller said Mississippi State University plays a vital role in the horse park partnership with the community.
    MSU is involved with the circus event because many families who came out are involved in the college, Miller said
    “It is important to bring things that are fun to the community,” Miller said.
    The park passed up several smaller circus acts in order to hold out for a large circus like the Carson and Barnes Family Circus.
    “A lot of children don’t get to see the animals and entertainers, so it really exposes them to see it,” she said.
    One grandmother from Kosciusko brought her three grandchildren to the horse park to experience their first circus visit.
    Many children said they enjoyed the circus, especially the animal rides.
    Five-year-old Abby Tubby said her favorite part of the circus was the elephant ride.
    She continued to say the pony ride was also one of her favorite parts of the circus.
    The people of Starkville and surrounding areas enjoyed the fun and entertainment the circus atmosphere brought to the horse park.
    Many attendees said they hope the Carson and Barnes Family Circus will return to Starkville in the near future.