Rock’s Gin Blossoms added to Old Main

Alternative rock band Gin Blossoms has been chosen to perform at Mississippi State University’s annual spring concert, the Old Main Music Festival. The group will be joining pop-rock band OneRepublic, rapper Fabolous and local band Jamie Davis & Soul Gravy.
    Gin Blossoms, from Tempe, Ariz., is composed of lead vocalist Robin Wilson, drummer Scott Kusmirek, guitarist Scotty Johnson, bass player Bill Leen and guitarist/vocalist Jesse Balenzuela. The group formed in 1987 and gained major popularity in the early ’90s with songs like “Hey Jealousy,” “Follow You Down” and “Til I Hear It From You,” which were all top 10 songs on the Billboard 100.
    Gin Blossoms broke up in 1997 and reunited in 2001. Music Maker director Tyler Stacy said the band was confirmed during Spring Break after a majority vote was taken to decide the third act for the festival.
    “We were looking for someone recognizable that students would enjoy hearing, and we thought Gin Blossoms were the best choice,” Stacy said.
    Campus Activities Board student director Patrick Young said Gin Blossoms have sold an outstanding number of CDs and received numerous awards for their music.
    “The Old Main Music Festival committee is extremely enthusiastic about having Gin Blossoms open up for the festival because of their name recognition,” Young said. “They’ve sold at least three million albums here in the United States and have won a Grammy.”
    The band was chosen after very careful consideration, he said.
    “We had about 20 acts and went through the process of elimination,” Young said. “We looked for a different act that hadn’t been to Starkville in some time.”
    According to Student Association President Braxton Coombs, the Old Main committee is composed of three to four members from CAB, the SA and Music Makers.
    “We started planning Old Main towards the end of last semester, and it really takes a lot of planning. We’re all fortunate to have such a great group of organizations working together,” he said.
    Coombs said he thinks students will be pleased with the decision to have Gin Blossoms on stage.
    “I’m very excited about Gin Blossoms. I think it will be a fun and really interactive concert,” he said. “They really had some popular music then and some of the songs are still popular today.”
    Sophomore civil engineering major Neel Stewart said he feels Gin Blossoms is the perfect addition too the concert line-up.
    “I’m so excited they are coming because I grew up listening to them and have never had a chance to see them perform live,” Stewart said.
    The performance will take place in the MSU Amphitheater on April 17 with the Gin Blossoms starting off the night at 7 p.m.