Grisham donates papers to Library

Former Mississippi State University student, John Grisham Jr., is on the road to fame. After producing his first novel, A Time to Kill, Grisham, a Mississippi legislator, lawyer and author, returned to MSU to donate his personal and legislative papers to Mitchell Memorial Library.

Wynwood Press of New York City published Grisham’s first novel this spring as the firm’s lead fiction title. A story of “retribution and justice,” the novel is set in the fictional northern Mississippi town of Clanton and follows the murder trial of a black man accused of killing the two white men who brutally abducted and raped his 10-year-old daughter.

The Southaven lawyer turned author has donated several items to Mitchell Memorial Library, including correspondence and speeches, research, photos and legislative records. Frances Coleman, associate director of library services, said the papers will be indexed and processed at a later date for availability to the public.

MSU President Donald Zacharias formally accepted the donation from Grisham at a ceremony Thursday, Oct. 12 in an agreement making Mitchell Memorial Library the repository of his collection.

Grisham graduated from MSU in 1977. During his time at MSU, he participated in the Pre-Law Society, the Accounting Club, Young Republicans, Young Americans for Freedom and Delta Sigma Pi.

After receiving a degree in accounting, he attended the University of Mississippi School of Law and is currently serving his second term in the Mississippi House of Representatives where he serves as the vice chairman of Apportionment and Elections committee and is a committee member for Insurance, Judiciary A, Military Affairs and Public Buildings. Grounds and Lands.

Three years in the making. A Time to Kill has received numerous reviews and has been cited for its excellent fictional portrayal of racial controversy, rape, murder and the legal aspects portrayed in the novel. In addition, Grisham’s agent Jay Garon has received inquiries from two Hollywood production companies about the novel.

Grisham is currently at work on his second novel.