Brawl Stars seek new members for emerging sport

Epic tales of heroes and warriors and their triumphs have existed even before a written alphabet was established. The stories of Odysseus and Hercules have been retold to enchanted audiences for centuries, well more like millennia. However, presently, most people do not believe in the presence of modern day epic heroes.  These people have not met the Mississippi Brawl Star Roller Derby team. These ladies demonstrate super strength as well as leadership, teamwork and compassion even while precariously skating.
The Mississippi Brawl Stars’ mission is to attract attention to and encourage the sport of women’s flat track roller derby in the Golden Triangle area, and the power, beauty and awesomeness of women in general.
Juna’uh Allgood (referred to in the roller derby world as Sadie Word), blocker and recruitment chair for the team, said she fell in love with the sport as soon as she strapped on a pair of skates.
“The uniqueness of a sport that promoted women so thoroughly, a team that was so accepting of women from all walks of life and the sport itself drew me in completely,” Allgood said.
On Jan. 22, the Brawl Stars are giving any willing woman warrior a chance to fall in love with the sport during ‘‘Skate for the Stars,” a recruitment event from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Skate Zone in Columbus. The team is looking for more volunteers and referees as well as new skaters.
Emily Griffin (Full Metal Fiona), event coordinator, said that the team wanted to hold the tryouts at the beginning of the year to help people succeed in their New Year’s resolutions of getting fit or meeting new people.
“It is also before the season starts, so we can focus on teaching, and college aged skaters are less busy, more time to start something new,” Griffin said.
In addition to being known for empowering women, the sport of roller derby and its players are famously renowned for having strong personalities.
“We have had quiet girls play who come out of their shell and moms who use derby as an outlet,” Allgood said.
The Women’s Flat Track Derby Association said the ‘‘do it yourself” attitude drives roller derby leagues and players to create their own unique identities and adapt their structures to reflect their local communities. Thus, players don skating names such as ‘‘Sadie Word” and ‘‘Full Metal Fiona.”
Founded Easter weekend of 2010 by team members Megan Dareing (Linchpin Luci), Dena Ryan (Mabel Scrape) and Isa Stratton-Beaulieu (Babs Havok), the Brawl Stars wanted to bring something new and exciting to the area and have a hobby Allgood said.
Since then, the team has grown in number and has become a member of Derby South, an independent Southern roller derby organization. The Brawl Stars brawl against teams from Alabama, Louisiana and Tennessee, as well as other teams from different states and other Mississippi teams including the Magnolia Roller Vixens and the Pearl River Swamp Dolls.
“Besides the athletic side, there are so many other benefits to playing roller derby. You meet new people of all ages and from all walks of life,” Allgood said. “You learn a lot about yourself as a person, and grow a lot, too.”
Roller derby as a whole empowers women to accept themselves, including ever-present body image issues, and to push the boundaries of their lives.
“The team was so accepting of everyone’s body type that I saw myself through that perspective and the self image issues went away,” Allgood said.
The Mississippi Brawl Stars’ mission statement states: We come in all shapes, sizes, colors, backgrounds and abilities and we are all strong, beautiful, smart, tough, sexy, tenacious and capable in our own ways.
The Brawl Stars live by the phrase, “Moderation is for regular people.”