Health Center offers screenings on campus

MSU on the Move, a program designed to create a healthier culture at Mississippi State University, is helping students, faculty, staff and Starkville residents receive the support and resources they need to live healthier lifestyles.
According to director of Health Education and Wellness Joyce Yates MSU on the Move is a nine-week program that gives participants the resources they need to start living a healthier lifestyle.
Mandy Conrad, registered dietitian, said this program does not use points or specialized diets but instead uses resources such as blogging with a registered dietitian and fitness instructor, fitness applications, health screenings and forums to allow participants to create their own individualized programs to fit their lives and their schedule.
“This program is not a cookie-cutter program in which we expect one size to fit all,” Conrad said. “We started this program with free health screenings so that people could learn what their health goals should be focused on individually.”
The program started Aug. 20 with 968 people going through health screenings. These health screenings showed participants their blood pressure, body mass index, glucose level, cholesterol level and waist circumference.
Participants who went through these health screenings receive perks from the Sanderson Center and a free T-shirt. However, anyone who would still like to join this program will also be able to join in on cooking demonstrations, online resources found on the program website and through the question and answer forums.
“Resources to help make better nutrition and fitness choices are available on our website. The cooking demonstrations will help teach people how to prepare healthy foods that are simple. The blog and Q and A sessions will further provide nutrition and fitness answers and guidance,” Conrad said. 
Some students have expressed that they see benefits of this program.
Emily Hill, junior biological sciences major, said she is excited about the program and she is grateful the health center is starting MSU on the Move.
“Having free access to a dietitian, exercise coach and wellness checks make this program an excellent and rare opportunity,” she said in an email. “I think it is wonderful that the university health center is willing to provide an opportunity like this.”
Yates said there are two main objectives of MSU on the Move: to make MSU on the Move a model for other schools to follow and to help students get out of the stage of contemplation about doing something to better their health and get into action.  
“Programs like this boost students to take action,” Yates said.
Students are also learning more about what they can do to better their health and see the benefits in knowing what steps they can take to create for themselves a healthier lifestyle.
Kiarrie Gates, senior information  technology major, said she thinks the beginning of improving one’s health comes from shedding light on the subject.
“You know what you need to work on and you are not in the dark on it,” she said. “If your blood pressure is high, you can know and can bring it down and can take steps to get back on track.”