Fall 2012 TV Preview

THE VOICE
Sept. 10 on NBC at 7 p.m.
Kali Horman
“The Voice” returns to NBC for its third season of talented vocalists competing for a recording contract.
“The Voice” features Cee Lo Green, Christina Aguilera, Adam Lambert and Blake Shelton as the coaches to 48 vocalists. The show consists of three stages. The first stage, called the blind audition, helps the coaches choose their 12 team members from the voices they hear without seeing the performer singing. Then, there is a battle phase where the coaches face two of their team members together to sing a duet.
Finally, the live performance shows give the audience the chance to vote for their favorite to determine America’s favorite voice.

AMERICAN HORROR STORY: ASYLUM
Oct. 17 on FX at 9 p.m.
Zack Orsborn
I still check my closet for ghosts after watching season one of  “American Horror Story.”
Fans of horror movies and mind-bending plots will get a thrill out of the dramatically different second season of the hit mini-series produced by Ryan Murphy.
Focusing on the mentally ill, “American Horror Story: Asylum” explores insanity in an asylum owned by a nun (Jessica Lange).
Each character, portrayed by a superb cast (Zachary Quinto, Chloà Sevigny and Evan Peters), deals with his or her own demons and reveals the deterioration of the human mind.
In an extremely creepy way.
Nightmares guaranteed.

GOSSIP GIRL
Oct. 8 on CW at 8:00 p.m.
Catie Marie Martin
In September of 2007, America watched as the “Gossip Girl” franchise went from novel to television show; we watched relationships blossom and burn. We became fascinated by the idea of being so influential that New Yorkers could read about us online courtesy of an anonymous reporter. Now, six years later, the phenomenon is taking its final bows.
Gossipcop.com reports that Blake Lively is not sad to see the departure of her alter ego, Serena.
“I don’t think I’d say ‘watch “Gossip Girl” for my best quality of work,'” she said.
 When asked what she would do to convince cynics of “Gossip Girl”‘s quality plot, Jane Walton, sophomore communication major, said, “You just have to take ‘Gossip Girl’ for what it is. It isn’t an Emmy award-winning drama, but it does allow you to be a part of a world that you otherwise never would have experienced.”

COMMUNITY
Oct. 19 on NBC at 7:30 p.m.
Candace Barnette

Watching “Community” will make you live longer.
It’s true.  Scientists have discovered the act of laughter is tied with longevity, and as you’ll be guffawing through the entire 30 minutes of an episode, you’re probably right on your way to celebrating your 160th birthday.
“Community” is a comedy following a diverse group of students enrolled in a community college as they tackle your average college issues, such as love, school projects, crazy professors, campus-wide paintball tournaments and blanket fort versus pillow fort warfare.
I know what you’re thinking: “When does this magical, medicinal show air so I might observe these shenanigans?”
The show premieres Oct. 19 at 8:30 p.m. on NBC.
So watch “Community.” Trust me; I am a telepathic soothsayer, after all.

THE NEW NORMAL
Sept. 11 on NBC at 8:30 p.m.
Zack Orsborn
I’ll admit it: I’m a huge Ryan Murphy fan.
From “Nip/Tuck” to “Glee,” Murphy never fails to break some television grounds.
Taking on the family sitcom this time around, Murphy’s “The New Normal” pushes the boundaries of a typical American family by having a gay family vying to adopt a child from a single mom.
Murphy always does a phenomenal job of bringing the social problems many Americans ignore to light with fast-paced, quippy humor.
 I’m not going to lie; I’m excited that pop-culture icon NeNe Leakes from “Real Housewives of Atlanta” will be adding her sassiness to the show.

ONCE UPON A TIME
Sept. 30 on ABC at 7 p.m.
Hannah Rogers
During its freshman season, “Once Upon a Time” enchanted viewers (get it?) to become the most successful new drama on network television.
Season two, premiering on ABC Sept. 30, will continue to follow the story about what happens in Storybrooke after the curse was lifted.
But just because the initial conflicts of the plots have been solved, doesn’t mean flashbacks between the Enchanted Forest will cease.
Along with the returning cast, Emilie de Ravin (“Lost”) will reprise her role as Belle and characters such as Mulan, Lancelot and Sleeping Beauty will take center stage in several episodes.

30 ROCK
Oct. 4 on NBC at 7 p.m.
Stephanie Sharp
Season six ended with Liz officiating a vow renewal for Jack and Avery that eventually turned into a surprise divorce ceremony.
Liz finally found her perfect match in Criss this season, and the finale resulted in their decision to have a child. Jenna got engaged to Paul, Kenneth was rejected from the NBC Page program and Tracey decided his new idol was Tyler Perry.
All of these subplots lead into the series seventh and final season consisting of only 13 episodes.
Will Liz finally get the baby she has always wanted? Will Jack get to be the CEO of Kabletown?
Celebrity cameos and former characters are expected to appear throughout the season.  “30 Rock” will premiere on Thursday, Oct. 4 at 7 p.m. on NBC.
MODERN FAMILY
Sept. 26 on ABC at 8 p.m.
Stephanie Sharp
In the series finale, the exaggerated telenovela subplot resulted in Cam and Mitchell missing their chance to adopt a new baby.
As the big season cliffhanger, Gloria found out she was pregnant. Also surprising, Haley Dunphy, who is more socialite than bookworm, discovered she was accepted into college.
Season four will begin with Gloria revealing her baby news to all Pritchetts, Dunphys and Tucker-Pritchetts. Going off to college will be as much of an adjustment for Haley as it will be for parents, Phil and Claire.
Will Haley survive college? How will Jay react to being a father again? “Modern Family” returns to ABC on Wednesday, Sept. 26 at 8 p.m.

FRINGE
Sept. 28 on FOX
at 8 p.m.
Hannah Rogers
Once upon a time, FOX canceled a show called “Firefly,” angering its small but devoted following. (It’s 14 episodes on Netflix guys; it isn’t that hard to watch.)
Ten years later, the same network renewed the bubble show “Fringe,” giving it a fifth and final season to tie up loose ends and please the fans. Perhaps the best genre show on television (that no one watches), “Fringe” crafts story lines that pack in adventure and a philosophic question or two.
But the show never forgets its heart lies with the characters. “Fringe” returns Sept. 28.