Canada native Jainudeen finds home at MSU

The 2012 season has been up and down for the Mississippi State University soccer team. But through the highs and lows, there have been a few stand-out players on the team this year who have managed to play consistently well.
Sophomore Shannen Jainudeen has been one of the most consistent players this year.
The 5’11” Ontario, Canada, native anchors the defense at center back. In her second season on the team, she has remained a full-time starter and an impact player on the team, just as she was her freshman year.
Head coach Neil MacDonald said Jainudeen means so much to the Bulldog defense.
“She’s very committed,” Macdonald said. “She’s growing into a leadership role for the team, starting to lead the back line. I feel like she’s been one of our most consistent and outstanding players all season.” 
Junior captain Morganne Grimes, who also plays on the back line, said Jainudeen is one of the best players on the team.
“I trust her more than I trust any other player on the field,” Grimes said. “She’s so aggressive, so competitive and so aggressive on the ball.”
Jainudeen is aware of her talents and said she has been pleased with her personal performance so far this year.
“It feels great to be an important part of the team so early in my career,” Jainudeen said. “I have a lot of pressure on me, but I like the pressure because it keeps me motivated to play well and keep playing well. Hopefully, when I play well, it motivates the rest of the team to play well.”
Earlier in the year, Jainudeen suffered a concussion, which forced her to miss some games. While she was out, the defense was not the same and further proved just how valuable her presence on the field is to this team.
MacDonald said the defense lacked strength without Jainudeen and missed her stature to win balls.
“Offensively, she’s also good enough to carry the ball out of the back and create things when we have the ball,” he said. “When you lose a player like that, it makes things very difficult, and I think it has a psychological effect on the team when a player of that stature and ability is missing.”
Though Jainudeen is far away from home, she has adjusted quite well and said she loves being in Starkville.
“I love the southern hospitality. People are a lot nicer down here than in Canada,” Jainudeen said. “My visit made me want to come down here, and I just loved the campus, the coaching staff and the atmosphere.”
During the summer, Jainudeen returns home. While she is there, she plays on a Canadian national team to help keep her in shape.
Being so far from home, Jainudeen said she has become close with her teammates to help her with the transition.
“I love my teammates,” Jainudeen said. “They are like a family away from home.” 
Jainudeen has carried her success from freshman year to lead her team this season. As she continues to improve, she will undoubtedly have a huge impact on the future potential success of the MSU soccer program.