Boys and Girls club offers mentoring

The Boys and Girls Club of Starkville has seen many exciting changes over the last several months. With multiple new staff members, programs and volunteer opportunities, there has never been a better time for the club. According to the Boys and Girls national website, the mission of the organization is to aid children in need.
“To enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens,” the club states.
Elementary and high school students are encouraged to attend the club after school to take part in enrichment programs. The Starkville club has nearly 130 children enrolled to utilize its benefits, with around 85 participating every day.
A large part of the improvements are due to the hiring of Joyce Ellenwood who took over as executive director almost a year ago. Under her guidance, the outreach for community involvement has grown sizably. Ellenwood said the club has made a couple of big decisions to drive the progress of the club.
“Earlier in the spring we hired a new unit director, Jacquie Myers, who brought on a wealth of energy from the community and new programs. Also, we’ve been reaching an arm out to the community to showcase the programs and volunteer opportunities,” Ellenwood said.
Not only has the Starkville community responded, but the Mississippi State University community has as well.
The engineering department launched a program under Tonya  Stone called the “Nano Club.” This additional exposure to science and nano technology allows younger students to see one aspect MSU has to offer. Additionally, a new program called “Mentor Me” has been instituted by MSU student Hannah Hathorn. “Mentor Me” is a matching program where MSU students are paired with a Boys and Girls Club student for mentorship once a week. Fifty MSU students have already enrolled, and Hathorn is actively recruiting more members.
Schuyler Paaymans, junior biological sciences major, said he thinks this new program is an interesting way for MSU students to give back.
“I think it is a great chance for MSU students to mentor a younger kid who may be going through a rougher time. An hour once a week can do a lot more than you think,” Paaymans said.
Ellenwood has big plans in the works. In addition to continuous upgrades to the facilities and new programs being created regularly, the Boys and Girls Club has community shows coming up.
A newly created choir is being coached by Starkville native, John Baker, to get the kids ready for a collegiate choir competition hosted at the Starkville Sportsplex on Nov. 9.
The Starkville High band and choir will be participating as well, alongside schools and colleges from the surrounding area. Ellenwood said she hopes this is a great fundraiser event for the Starkville center.
For any additional information regarding volunteering or the Boys and Girls Club of Starkville, call 615.9980.